Goo Systems GooToob? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Goo Systems GooToob?

Does anyone have any feedback on the GooToob screens? I've heard of Goo Systems for some time, but not familiar with this "screen in a toob". For those not familiar, the new screen is not the paint systems they've used before (I'm no painter), but a wallpaper like application that gets mounted to the wall. I've searched and found remarkably little. So far the only real review I seen has been here: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projector-screen/

The only downsides noted are that it does require self install, but otherwise it seems to compare favorably with some of the highest cost screens available (i.e. Studiotek). The reviewer (Chris Heinonen) provided this as a summary, "Once I had it up, the GooToob presented an almost flawless image, with practically no color shift, an even gain (0.95 as measured, very close to the 1.0 it’s rated at), and a very pleasing surface overall. It offers up a screen surface that even the most critical viewer would be happy with."

If the review is accurate, this would seem to be a great option for a relatively light controlled space and permanent installation. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts or any direct experience. I only found one mention of it on AVS and the person referenced the first time it was being bought in the US. Perhaps this is just newly distributed here???

Last edited by Mbosco; 12-30-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling and added info on the screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 272
This product needs to be moved to the Screens Forum as it is obviously outside of the DIY domain. Please contact a Moderator to have your Thread relocated.

Thanks!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 221
From what I've read the GooToob is a very nice white screen for anyone looking to trade a little work (made much easier with a second pair of hands) instead of paying through the nose.

An even cheaper and easier alternative if you've got a smooth wall (which I'm assuming the GooToob requires to some extent) would be simply rolling on two coats of flat/matte white paint and buying $20-40 worth of the same velvet tape that the GooToob uses for a border from a craft store.

The flat white paint doesn't show roller-marks and hides wall blemishes really well, so it's an excellent paint for a non-painter. Just grab a pair of 1/4" roller-pads so you don't reuse pads for the second coat.
It gives a neutral-white 0.95gain screen that disappears behind the image just like the Goo, except it costs less than $20 for everything besides the border and can easily be made by one person.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
This product needs to be moved to the Screens Forum as it is obviously outside of the DIY domain. Please contact a Moderator to have your Thread relocated.

Thanks!
Will do. I thought this one was kind of borderline DIY versus a straight product. I'll ask to have it moved.

AVS Moderators, please move to the main screen section as appropriate.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by Mbosco; 12-30-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbosco View Post
Will do. I thought this one was kind of borderline DIY versus a straight product. I'll ask to have it moved.

AVS Moderators, please move to the main screen section as appropriate.

Thanks,
Mark
No worries....

And as Ftoast stated, DIY Screens has many viable options that easily compare / measure up to / exceed Mfg offerings. All ya gotta do is want something really special that you can be proud you created.

Your choice should center upon cost vs performance vs work ethic. The range of choices within DIY Screen making is pretty wide.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply Screens