Best pull down screen for under $200? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2015, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best pull down screen for under $200?

Just bought a BenQ w1070 and live in an apartment with all white walls and ceiling. I have been projecting onto an 8' section of wall but finally took the advice of others here and am wanting a bigger image, at least 120". I will also not be wall mounting this but placing it in front of my entertainment center. Others have suggested I would need a tensioned screen.

Can I get a plenty good screen for under/around $200 or do I need to spend more? This will be a temporary setup that I will use once or twice a month in front of my entertainment center so I would prefer a pull down that I can easily collapse and store. Is a pull down my best option? Thanks!

Last edited by TomT99; 01-05-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT99 View Post
Just bought a BenQ w1070 and live in an apartment with all white walls and ceiling. I have been projecting onto an 8' section of wall but finally took the advice of others here and am wanting a bigger image.

Can I get a plenty good screen for under/around $200 or do I need to spend more? This will be a temporary setup that I will use once or twice a month in front of my entertainment center so I would prefer a pull down that I can easily collapse and store. Is a pull down my best option? Thanks!
There are a LOT of options for pull down wall screens under $200. Here are 400+ to start

http://www.projectorscreen.com/manua...c&Attribs=2907

Here are some 16:9 options that are 100"+ diagonal under $200:
http://www.projectorscreen.com/manua...=2907+672+2910

Any item from Da-lite, Draper or Elite is a solid choice from these options.

I hope that helps!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
There are a LOT of options for pull down wall screens under $200. Here are 400+ to start

http://www.projectorscreen.com/manua...c&Attribs=2907

Here are some 16:9 options that are 100"+ diagonal under $200:
http://www.projectorscreen.com/manua...=2907+672+2910

Any item from Da-lite, Draper or Elite is a solid choice from these options.

I hope that helps!
Sorry I should have mentioned that I wanted at least 120" and that I would not be wall mounting it but placing it in front of my entertainment center. Someone suggested I would need a tensioned screen.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Someone suggested I would need a tensioned screen.
You would also need another $2000!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
You would also need another $2000!
Yikes screw that
Old 01-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Sorry I should have mentioned that I wanted at least 120" and that I would not be wall mounting it but placing it in front of my entertainment center. Someone suggested I would need a tensioned screen.
In all reality, your lowest prices ceiling mounted electric tensioned screen of any quality is going to run you over $1000.

Elite Screens has a 125" model which is really a good value as well at just over $500:

http://www.projectorscreen.com/store...-1-1-Gain.html

Elite has another model with a longer drop at the top for $100 or so more (The Starling Tension) but once you venture into Dalite, Draper or Vutec territory you hit the $1000+ price point.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In all reality, your lowest prices ceiling mounted electric tensioned screen of any quality is going to run you over $1000.

Elite Screens has a 125" model which is really a good value as well at just over $500:

http://www.projectorscreen.com/store...-1-1-Gain.html

Elite has another model with a longer drop at the top for $100 or so more (The Starling Tension) but once you venture into Dalite, Draper or Vutec territory you hit the $1000+ price point.
Nice, thx. $500 seems a bit steep for a $700 projector, might just have to throw it on the wall.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:08 AM

There is no better way to make a $700 projector look like a $200 projector than aiming it at a naked wall. If you have dedicated wall space, why not look at a fixed frame screen or Paint on Screen / screen goo? You get a permenently "tensioned" screen for a fraction of the price of an electric tensioned.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is no better way to make a $700 projector look like a $200 projector than aiming it at a naked wall. If you have dedicated wall space, why not look at a fixed frame screen or Paint on Screen / screen goo? You get a permenently "tensioned" screen for a fraction of the price of an electric tensioned.
I thought a white wall was perfectly adequate? Would a screen really make that much of a difference even when all my walls and ceiling are white?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Tom, take a few minutes and read this screen report .. it give you a lot of info about screens and how they work. May answer a lot of your questions..
Think of the screen as the tires.. you can have a 500 hp engine but if you have the wrong tires you aint' going anywhere fast.. The screen and actual room color are just as important as the projector ..
http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf
Old 01-07-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Tom, take a few minutes and read this screen report .. it give you a lot of info about screens and how they work. May answer a lot of your questions..
Think of the screen as the tires.. you can have a 500 hp engine but if you have the wrong tires you aint' going anywhere fast.. The screen and actual room color are just as important as the projector ..
http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf
Great, thx!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Just bought a BenQ w1070 and live in an apartment with all white walls and ceiling. I have been projecting onto an 8' section of wall but finally took the advice of others here and am wanting a bigger image, at least 120". I will also not be wall mounting this but placing it in front of my entertainment center. Others have suggested I would need a tensioned screen.

Here you go..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Favi-120-16-...item4adcdf51b6

I have a Focupix screen that from the pics & specs appears to be identical to this Favi. I've had it almost 4 years. It's been up/down a zillion times & has NEVER had ANY wrinkles or waves. There is a minor "curl-in" on the sides that you can only see from the sides if you are looking for it. If it dies tomorrow (hope not!) I'd sure order this. I paid something under $500 delivered for the Focupix when I bought it. The same screen as this (the Favi) was $350 on Amazon the last time I looked.
Good luck!

Ed
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Here you go..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Favi-120-16-...item4adcdf51b6

I have a Focupix screen that from the pics & specs appears to be identical to this Favi. I've had it almost 4 years. It's been up/down a zillion times & has NEVER had ANY wrinkles or waves. There is a minor "curl-in" on the sides that you can only see from the sides if you are looking for it. If it dies tomorrow (hope not!) I'd sure order this. I paid something under $500 delivered for the Focupix when I bought it. The same screen as this (the Favi) was $350 on Amazon the last time I looked.
Good luck!

Ed
Awesome, thank you!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Awesome, thank you!
YW. If it's the same quality as mine I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.

Good luck!

Ed
Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
YW. If it's the same quality as mine I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.

Good luck!

Ed
Is 120" a huge improvement over 106"?

Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com