Do 4:3 or 1:1 screens provide more flexibility for 16:9 display (in terms of height)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By airscapes

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do 4:3 or 1:1 screens provide more flexibility for 16:9 display (in terms of height)?

I just ordered a short throw projector (BenQ W1080ST+) because I intend to project on a screen that's about 150 cm (5 ft) from the projector (and about 60 cm (2 ft) from the TV behind it).

From reading guides it seems that it would be most best to get a ceiling mounted 16:9 screen, as this fits most of the content I intend to watch. What is unclear to me is how would this screen not end up too high, if the top of it is so close to the ceiling? Is there a way to lower screens further that I might be missing? Would a screen with more squarish aspect ratio that goes lower be a way to solve this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 140
You must use your projectors manual to determine where the bottom or top (depends on where you are mounting the projector) needs to be for a give projector position.
Download the manual, they normally have a section called install with a graph or picture reference of heights and distances.
A screen can be ordered with additional drop (black fabric) at the top to effectively lower the screen. With a manual pull down you will be limited to whatever the spacing is between stops.. in other words, if you need it 9" lower than stock, and the stops are every 12" ...
Electric is normally infinity adjustable.

No, having a 4:3 or 1:1 screen is not helpful unless you plan to watch a LOT of old 4:3 material.. your 16:9 will be much smaller..
Hope that helps.
Prognathous likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, this is helpful.

I'll look for screens with an additional black drop. It definitely sounds like a more sensible solution than 4:3 or 1:1 screens
post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
A ceiling mounted screen can be attached via hooks or chains, thus lowering the drop.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2015, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

My ceiling is pretty standard, so hopefully the built-in drop would be sufficient. But good to know there are other solutions in case I move to a place with a higher ceiling.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page