Screens and changing aspect ratios - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jrm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Screens and changing aspect ratios

I have a 16:9 screen.

Obviously, 16:9 content fills the screen. 2.35 content displays black bars on the top and bottom. All understood.

I see that people handle 2.35 content in different ways.

Some mask a 16:9 screen.
Some get a 2.35 screen (and mask the sides for 16:9 content)
Some go anamorphic lenses to display widescreen content on 2.35 screens.
Some use the "zoom" function on their projector to display widescreen content.

I (think I) understand these options. But I am curious how that all works when watching a movie with changing aspect ratios.

I started thinking about this when recently watching a movie that shifted between 16:9 and 2.35. If I had my 16:9 screen masked, the image would have been cut off on some scenes. If I had a 2.35 screen and zoomed the image, the image would be beyond the screen on the 16:9 scenes. No idea what would happen with an anamorphic lens set up.

Am I missing something here? Do masking and anamorphic lenses simply not apply on mixed aspect ratio content?
jrm21 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,868
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

Am I missing something here? Do masking and anamorphic lenses simply not apply on mixed aspect ratio content?
correct.
The other option if the black bars bother you is to buy a JVC projector that provides the best blacklevel so the bar are not noticeable.
airscapes is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jrm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
correct.
Okay. So at least I am understanding things correctly.

Quote:
The other option if the black bars bother you is to buy a JVC projector that provides the best blacklevel so the bar are not noticeable.

I am using a Sony HW-ES40 projector. I understand the JVCs will have better black levels. However, in my room I am unable to see the "black bars" - they blend into the velvet border around the screen which blends into the wall/background. Not sure masking would provide any perceivable benefit in my situation.

The black bars don't bother me at all because I don't see them. I simply see a lot of posts with people discussing masking options and was wondering how it works and what limitations it has. More of an "academic" question.

Thanks for the info.
jrm21 is online now  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Okay. So at least I am understanding things correctly.




I am using a Sony HW-ES40 projector. I understand the JVCs will have better black levels. However, in my room I am unable to see the "black bars" - they blend into the velvet border around the screen which blends into the wall/background. Not sure masking would provide any perceivable benefit in my situation.

The black bars don't bother me at all because I don't see them. I simply see a lot of posts with people discussing masking options and was wondering how it works and what limitations it has. More of an "academic" question.

Thanks for the info.

With movies that start as 2.35:1, then open up to 16:9, I just watch those on my 16:9 screen. Full value that way.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
People with a fixed 2:35 screen are screwed with these changing AR movies. They would have to watch all the 2:35 content with black bars on all four sides. I think the changing AR format is stupid, how do they do this in the theater or are all theater presentations in a fixed AR.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
rekbones is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
People with a fixed 2:35 screen are screwed with these changing AR movies. They would have to watch all the 2:35 content with black bars on all four sides. I think the changing AR format is stupid, how do they do this in the theater or are all theater presentations in a fixed AR.
You're wrong on several points.

Most high quality theaters project all movies at the same image height (constant image height). Movies are filmed and meant to be seen at the same height; only the width is supposed to vary. This was an impossibility with modern 16:9 and 4:3 displays, but can be achieved with home front projection. As one forum member once put it as I paraphrase, "The Wheel of Fortune tv show is not meant to be taller than Star Wars or Lawrence of Arabia" which is what happens without constant image height.

My JVC projector allows me to zoom a scope (2:35/2:4) movie so there are no black bars seen. With 16:9ish, there are vertical black bars on the sides, but I am not distracted by it. One can always mask too if needed. The projector allows for zoom memories. Some people use anamorphic lenses too.

Now, if you want larger 16:9 content than how it will be displayed on a 2:35 screen, then a 16:9 screen makes sense. From my 10 foot seating distance, my 2:35 9 foot wide screen is good; but if I went 16:9 at that same width, it would feel overwhemling with 16:9 content and give too much of the IMAX effect. picture height is more straining to the eyes versus width given the nature of our eyes being side by side versus on top of the other.

Of couse, if you watch shows, sports, do gaming, in addition to movies, a scope screen might not be the best option.However, I prefer the constant image height approach as I use my projector strictly for Blu-ray movies, but to each their own.


Last edited by DavidHir; 01-13-2015 at 03:32 PM.
DavidHir is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Of couse, if you watch shows, sports, do gaming, in addition to movies, a scope screen might not be the best option.However, I prefer the constant image height approach as I use my projector strictly for Blu-ray movies, but to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Yes but your not getting my point, your projector can't maintain a CIH screen with the BR release of Transformers 4 or Guardians of the Galaxy because they are printed with a changing AR that switches between a full 16:9 and a 2:35 screen. I use a CIW system because the maximum width my room allows is used for both 16:9 and 2:35 masking my screen top and shifting the image to the bottom of the screen for 2:35. So I can't use my 2:35 screen mode for these new releases. I assume the theater release of these changing AR films uses a CIH format not CIW as in the BR releases

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
rekbones is online now  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Of couse, if you watch shows, sports, do gaming, in addition to movies, a scope screen might not be the best option.However, I prefer the constant image height approach as I use my projector strictly for Blu-ray movies, but to each their own.
Quote:
Yes but your not getting my point, your projector can't maintain a CIH screen with the BR release of Transformers 4 or Guardians of the Galaxy because they are printed with a changing AR that switches between a full 16:9 and a 2:35 screen. I use a CIW system because the maximum width my room allows is used for both 16:9 and 2:35 masking my screen top and shifting the image to the bottom of the screen for 2:35. So I can't use my 2:35 screen mode for these new releases. I assume the theater release of these changing AR films uses a CIH format not CIW as in the BR releases

I haven't seen these movies at an IMAX theater, but I would guess they would be shown CIW so the IMAX portion can open up full size. That's what I do with my 16:9 screen. I forgot Hunger Games: Catching Fire changed midway. I switched screens on the fly, and zoomed in.


This is why I like having both a 16:9 screen and a wider 2.35:1 screen. Out of 475 Blu rays and HD DVD's in my collection, 40 - 45% are 16:9. Add in HDTV, and I'm evenly split ! And when I watch a changing aspect ratio movie, I can do it just like IMAX would.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Yes but your not getting my point, your projector can't maintain a CIH screen with the BR release of Transformers 4 or Guardians of the Galaxy because they are printed with a changing AR that switches between a full 16:9 and a 2:35 screen. I use a CIW system because the maximum width my room allows is used for both 16:9 and 2:35 masking my screen top and shifting the image to the bottom of the screen for 2:35. So I can't use my 2:35 screen mode for these new releases. I assume the theater release of these changing AR films uses a CIH format not CIW as in the BR releases
I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy on Blu and there is no shifting AR.

The only other movies where I have found this to be an issue (that I care about watching) are the last two Dark Knight movies.

DavidHir is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The 3D version I know for sure its shifting AR and I believe the included 2D BR is also, but I personally have not watched it.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
rekbones is online now  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The 3D version I know for sure its shifting AR and I believe the included 2D BR is also, but I personally have not watched it.

The 2D included with the 3D does not shift - there is just one 2D encode of the movie...same one included in the 2D case.


http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Guardi...Blu-ray/79118/


Last edited by DavidHir; 01-13-2015 at 05:14 PM.
DavidHir is online now  
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off