Advice needed on home theater with projector - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice needed on home theater with projector

Would sincerely appreciate advice on how to get my home theater put together.

Context:
I have a family room with windows on practically every wall. I am trying to be a minimalist on having too many devices in the family room. I decided to get a projector (Benq HT1075) to start my system. My plan was to Chromecast to the Benq. I'm running into two issues:

1) My research leads me to believe that I should install a ceiling recessed tab tensioned screen (105"). I have never really played around in my attic but I'm willing to learn. Are there any good primers on how to DIY this? How complex is the electrical wiring? I'm looking to sell my house in another 5 years so I am also open to options that don't involve me cutting holes into my ceiling.

2) Could I ever get proper audio with a Chromecast connected into my projector? My projector has a single green audio output jack. What would I do to do this "right"? (e.g., Can soundbars use this single output to provide decent audio? Should I put an entire HDPC in my family room?) I have a 5.1 speaker system that it looks like I will be unable to use (currently being used by my main computer in another room on the other end of the house - this would be the computer broadcasting through Plex to the Chromecast)

3) Would anyone recommend just skipping the Chromecast and literally running wires from my main computer through the attic of my ranch style house all the way to the family room? I feel like after investing in 800 projector + 800 screen that I don't want to totally skimp on audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm in a similar boat and looking for a decree and projector.
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-HT1075-10...ds=Benq+ht1075

I looked at the same projector and though my budget is higher I'm not certain what a screen will cost. Anyone have this projector? Screen suggestion for it?

Doubl the price get a lot more on a projector?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by venesis View Post
Would sincerely appreciate advice on how to get my home theater put together.

Context:
I have a family room with windows on practically every wall. I am trying to be a minimalist on having too many devices in the family room. I decided to get a projector (Benq HT1075) to start my system. My plan was to Chromecast to the Benq. I'm running into two issues:

1) My research leads me to believe that I should install a ceiling recessed tab tensioned screen (105"). I have never really played around in my attic but I'm willing to learn. Are there any good primers on how to DIY this? How complex is the electrical wiring? I'm looking to sell my house in another 5 years so I am also open to options that don't involve me cutting holes into my ceiling.

2) Could I ever get proper audio with a Chromecast connected into my projector? My projector has a single green audio output jack. What would I do to do this "right"? (e.g., Can soundbars use this single output to provide decent audio? Should I put an entire HDPC in my family room?) I have a 5.1 speaker system that it looks like I will be unable to use (currently being used by my main computer in another room on the other end of the house - this would be the computer broadcasting through Plex to the Chromecast)

3) Would anyone recommend just skipping the Chromecast and literally running wires from my main computer through the attic of my ranch style house all the way to the family room? I feel like after investing in 800 projector + 800 screen that I don't want to totally skimp on audio.
I am not aware of any $800 tab-tensioned ceiling recessed screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaking from recent experience, I would caution you NOT to do DIY for a ceiling recessed screen, especially if this is your first attempt.

The problem is the channel for the recessed screen must be built to precise specs, and everything must be plumb (both vertically and horizontally) for the screen case to fit properly and to give that awesome flush mount appearance. This is difficult to do even with new construction over the typical 10 foot to 12 foot span of the channel.

IMO it's not worth the trouble. If your home is not _perfectly_ square, you may run into some tough issues. For example, you may find that the ceiling and the floor are not exactly parallel, and you'll end up with a screen that drops a bit crooked. OR, the ceiling and floor are parallel but the windows that the screen drops over are not perfectly plumb, again giving you a visual eyesore of crookedness. These issues are easily fixed (or at least faked to look square) with a wall mount screen but basically impossible to fix for a flush ceiling mount.

I have a flush ceiling mount, and overall I am satisfied with it, however the effort it took to get the brackets plumb enough for the screen to be mounted properly almost defies belief. It took 3 men four hours to mount it, and it took three mounting attempts. Each attempt required plugging the power and control wires into the side of the screen while lifting the 90 lb screen into the channel. Try that 3 times! Ultimately some drywall had to be cut (damaged, really) and the brackets needed to be mounted absolutely plumb to get it right.

My previous installation with a wall mount took 2 men less than an hour. The hookups were done at my leisure.

Displays: Sony VPL-HW40ES | 110" SI Motorized Slate screen | Pioneer PRO-150FD
Sources: Sony BDP-S5000ES | Dune HD Smart D1 | Roku HD | LG LST-3410A HD-DVR
Speakers: Nearfield Pipedreams 18 (L,R,Sub1,Sub2), Pipedreams 15 (C)
| Magnepan MC-1 (WL, WR, SL, SR, SBL, SBR)
Audio: Denon AVR-4311CI | Bryston 6B-SST | Bryston 14B-SST
Control: Control4 home automation

Last edited by dahester; Yesterday at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Chrome cast yes. I have mine plugged into my receiver and set as the default input when the receiver is turned off. This makes it easy for the wife to use. Turn on projector and then ago control is on her phone. Note that the chromecast is NOT mhl compliant so you will need power if you connect it directly to the projector.

For audio, I have the w1070 in a 14x17x8 room and is actually too loud with not low level adjustment. Hence why the chromecast is good here. But again mine is all plumbed to receiver.

For screen, try it on the wall. I got some oof the boc for 12 bucks (ivory color if that matters) and at full height in eco mode is to bright (106 in diag). if this is the vara hey screen or nd filter will be in order for night time viewing.

Last edited by scoobdude; Today at 05:36 AM.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is the screen that I picked up during the recent Black Friday sales.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/scree...arling+Tension

Elite or the folks at Projector People might even know if this universal kit would work. Both have chat capabilities on their websites, so it should be a quick chat session to verify:

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...iling-trim-kit

I also picked up a HT1075 projector while it was on sale and to say we're extremely happy with the results is an huge understatement. Yes, the Starling Tension screen is a little slow and it makes a buzzing / whirling noise when it's going up or down; however, it was around $550 with free shipping so I can't complain. In my room it's mounted directly to the ceiling and drops about 3" in front of our plasma TV that is hung on the wall. Installing the brackets and running a power cable was rather painless as our attic is right above the room. My room is 17 x 18 and it's a 100" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page