Screen Innovations Slate Screen at CES 2015 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 4 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 2 Post By ikkuranus
  • 2 Post By BillY2KFRC
  • 1 Post By R Harkness
  • 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By richardyc
  • 1 Post By deewan
post #1 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Screen Innovations Slate Screen at CES 2015

SI's new ambient light-rejecting screen material is less expensive and available in larger sizes than the company's Black Diamond.

The prototype Wolf Cinema BPP laser-illuminated projector being demonstrated at the Venetian was shown on a new screen material called Slate from Screen Innovations, a less-expensive, more flexible alternative to the company's highly regarded Black Diamond ambient light-rejecting material. For example, while Black Diamond maxes out at 120" diagonal at 16:9 (60" tall at all aspect ratios), Slate can go up to 200" diagonal at 16:9 (120" tall). It's also rollable and can be put in a retractable housing with no loss of size; Black Diamond is limited to no more than 110" diagonal at 16:9 (55" tall) in a retractable housing.

With a gain of 1.2, it is said to reject 65% of ambient light, whereas Black Diamond (gain 0.8 or 1.4) is said to reject 85%. Basically, Slate consists of the first three layers used in Black Diamond on a PVC backing, which is why it rejects less ambient light than the older material. There is no microperf option yet, but Screen Innovations is working on it.

The demo screen was 2.35:1 and 133" diagonal with the company's zero edge frame and LED light kit, which bathes the area behind the screen in colored light. (I wouldn't order it like that; such a configuration distorts the colors we perceive on the screen. Other than providing cool lighting when not watching anything on the screen, the only good use I can think of for this is as a bias light with white light at D65 and 10% of the peak-brightness level on the screen, but unless you have a super-bright projector, there really is no need for that.) To compare costs, a Black Diamond in this configuration would cost $5040, while a Slate would cost $3880, a savings of 23%.

The photo at the top of this post was taken with the room lights off, but here's one with a light on right next to the screen. As you can see, there is some washout near the lamp, but overall, the picture holds up pretty well.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 01-15-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
any visible screen texture or sparklies?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wish these guys would make a screen material that didn't cost 4x more then my projector was worth back in 2011.

post #4 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'd love to know the manufacturing costs for their screens. They seem just about the only thing in the HT industry that hasn't seen a drop in price, significantly, over the course of it's life so far.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 120" SI Slate Motorized sitting in a GIANT box in my living room right now! Having a friend come over to help me install it a week from Sunday, can't wait! I will be using it with an Epson 5030 in a living room setting with moderate ambient light and a 22' throw distance.

Last edited by BillY2KFRC; 01-15-2015 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Really interested to hear your thoughts once you have it up and running. What screen are you using now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC View Post
I have a 120" SI Slate Motorized sitting in a GIANT box in my living room right now! Having a friend come over to help me install it a week from Sunday, can't wait! I will be using it with an Epson 5030 in a living room setting with moderate ambient light and a 22' throw distance.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post
I wish these guys would make a screen material that didn't cost 4x more then my projector was worth back in 2011.
I think part of that problem is they're over-engineering. You can get reeeeeeally close for reeeeeally cheap by altering the way it's made. Why they don't, when the Slate is clearly a more budget oriented option in the first place, I have no idea.
I have no idea where the rest of the price comes from either..besides juicy profit.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Really interested to hear your thoughts once you have it up and running. What screen are you using now?
No screen currently, this is my first projection setup in my new house. It will be dropping down in front of my 70" Sharp Elite. I used to have an RS1 and a 92" fixed Elite .8 gray screen in my old condo, but that was a few years back. I'll definitely post up my thoughts and some pics once installed.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Well you learn something every day!

I didn't know John Goodman made a monkey picture when he was a kid.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
You can get reeeeeeally close for reeeeeally cheap by altering the way it's made.
How close is really close? Im intrigued!
post #11 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Scott, how were the viewing angles on this model? Any significant washout?
post #12 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
How close is really close? Im intrigued!
This is something that can be done by a total novice with half an hour, $20 or less worth of supplies and materials, $35 worth of paint, 400lumens and 110inches.
Treated dedicated theater space on the left, bright white family-room with no curtains on the right.

This is far from being the only DIY ambient-light rejecting screen..it just happens to be my own so I'm a little partial.

I used a cheapo full-size paint-roller with a 1/4" nap. The panel was $8, but this could also be painted directly onto a smoother wall like most sheetrock.
It's not magic and I still prefer flat/matte-white for night viewing (flat-white is totally invisible once there's an image up), but $35 at HomeDepot, Walmart or online is hard to argue with.

The Slate, however, involves even less work to setup and can be ready in a few minutes once it's at your doorstep. There's also less mess to worry about, though I wouldn't say rolling paint was at all messy.
music_to_my_ear likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-15-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Well you learn something every day!

I didn't know John Goodman made a monkey picture when he was a kid.
Yeah, I thought it was amazing that they found a kid to play the son of John Goodman's character who looks just like him!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #14 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Scott, how were the viewing angles on this model? Any significant washout?
I thought the viewing angle was quite good. My photos were taken from about 30° on either side, and I didn't notice much in the way of washout.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #15 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Yeah, I thought it was amazing that they found a kid to play the son of John Goodman's character who looks just like him!
Really? Is that shot from a movie that actually stars John Goodman? I was joking simply because the kid reminded me so much of Goodman, but if he was cast for Goodman's son, wow they found a dead ringer.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Really? Is that shot from a movie that actually stars John Goodman? I was joking simply because the kid reminded me so much of Goodman, but if he was cast for Goodman's son, wow they found a dead ringer.
that's from the movie Speed Racer.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post
that's from the movie Speed Racer.
Yep, that's right, Speed Racer, in which John Goodman plays the kid's father. Pretty amazing, eh?

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #18 of 26 Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
The demo screen was 2.35:1 and 133" diagonal with the company's zero edge frame and LED light kit, which bathes the area behind the screen in colored light. (I wouldn't order it like that; such a configuration distorts the colors we perceive on the screen. Other than providing cool lighting when not watching anything on the screen, the only good use I can think of for this is as a bias light with white light at D65 and 10% of the peak-brightness level on the screen, but unless you have a super-bright projector, there really is no need for that.)
Just my two cents here, but I have found the LED kit well worth the investment. The looks are cool and all but where it really helps is eye strain. I read up on the matter quick a bit when remodeling my theater. There are some things you need to keep in mind like the ideal background color is gray with white light. Of course you can get geeky with it and make sure the gray is the perfect shade and the white like is the correct temperature, but with a simple gray rock wall and the white light from the screen, I've found watching football, golf, or movies all day with the LED lights in an otherwise completely dark room has greatly decreased my eye strain. My eyes used to get tired, dry and after 4-5 hours I would sometimes have a minor headache. Haven't experienced any of that with the LED lights. So for me, it was well worth the money!!

ControlZ likes this.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Saw this screen while at CES. Beautiful picture. Pricey, but beautiful. I didn't care for the colored backlighting as I thought it was distracting.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Just my two cents here, but I have found the LED kit well worth the investment. The looks are cool and all but where it really helps is eye strain. I read up on the matter quick a bit when remodeling my theater. There are some things you need to keep in mind like the ideal background color is gray with white light. Of course you can get geeky with it and make sure the gray is the perfect shade and the white like is the correct temperature, but with a simple gray rock wall and the white light from the screen, I've found watching football, golf, or movies all day with the LED lights in an otherwise completely dark room has greatly decreased my eye strain. My eyes used to get tired, dry and after 4-5 hours I would sometimes have a minor headache. Haven't experienced any of that with the LED lights. So for me, it was well worth the money!!
Direct and long-term experience is worth much more than two cents! Thanks for sharing yours... BTW, I like your rock wall!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #21 of 26 Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is something that can be done by a total novice with half an hour, $20 or less worth of supplies and materials, $35 worth of paint, 400lumens and 110inches.
Treated dedicated theater space on the left, bright white family-room with no curtains on the right.

This is far from being the only DIY ambient-light rejecting screen..it just happens to be my own so I'm a little partial.

I used a cheapo full-size paint-roller with a 1/4" nap. The panel was $8, but this could also be painted directly onto a smoother wall like most sheetrock.
It's not magic and I still prefer flat/matte-white for night viewing (flat-white is totally invisible once there's an image up), but $35 at HomeDepot, Walmart or online is hard to argue with.

The Slate, however, involves even less work to setup and can be ready in a few minutes once it's at your doorstep. There's also less mess to worry about, though I wouldn't say rolling paint was at all messy.
Whoa...with those black levels, it can take a ZT60 head-on.
post #22 of 26 Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

What's the demo material you're using here?

Looky here!
post #23 of 26 Old 01-17-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
What's the demo material you're using here?
Those are some google image search results of "colors, girl, black background. I was getting eye-candy requests, and they really seemed to stand out.

There's also a video showing some DarkKnightRises footage with some wandering around (and tripping over my own feet) to show some viewing-cone and give a better idea how much light was in the room.

post #24 of 26 Old 01-17-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Those are some google image search results of "colors, girl, black background. I was getting eye-candy requests, and they really seemed to stand out.

There's also a video showing some DarkKnightRises footage with some wandering around (and tripping over my own feet) to show some viewing-cone and give a better idea how much light was in the room.
Thanks!

Looky here!
post #25 of 26 Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 AM

I was finally able to get my Epson 5030ub and 120" Motorized SI Slate up and running yesterday. I really cannot say enough about how impressed I am with this combination. I have the screen set up in my living room, with moderate ambient light control during the day. Projector throw distance is 22', making my setup ideal for a screen of this type. I sit approximately 14-15' away from the screen.

Hot Spotting - The big worry for many, but with my throw distance I have zero hot spotting. Even with the projector in living room mode (which is quite bright) I see no visible hot spotting.

Sparkles/Silk Screen Effect - This effect is very minor with this screen and is not enough to be distracting to my eyes. It is more pronounced the brighter the image you are throwing at the screen. In living room mode that I use during the day, you can see some sparkles on all white/super bright scenes. My previous experience with sparkles was on my old Mitsubishi Laservue 75" DLP TV; on that TV I found the sparkles unbearable at times. On this screen I would say they are probably half as pronounced and in most scenes are not visible. Even better, at night, when you put the projector into its darker THX mode the sparkles go away almost completely. Even on an all-white screen, from my seating distance the sparkles are not visible.

Off-axis Viewing Cone - From what I can see, this screen loses very little brightly off-axis. This is nothing like the videos I have seen of Black Diamond and the side of the screen getting dark as you move from side to side. I can watch from my dining room table (about 45 degrees off center) and can't see the sides losing any brightness at all. I'm pretty sensitive to this effect also as my old Laservue was terrible off-center and my current 70" Sharp Elite also doesn't look as good when not view straight on. This is one of my biggest surprises with the screen, quite impressed.

Build Quality/Motor - Very impressed, this is not a cheap screen by any means, but I can say I am 100% satisfied with what I received for the money. Motor is smooth and not too loud, construction is top notch as well. Aesthetics are very nice and it blends nicely into my living room with the white case. Also, the setup for the drop height was super easy using a toggle on the wall switch. No need to use any hidden screws to set the drop which I've read can be challenging on other motorized screens. And the 12v trigger hooked up to my Epson works like a charm!

Overall, this screen ended up being perfect for my needs. I researched ambient light rejecting screens for close to a year before pulling the trigger on this, but I am not disappointing at all with my choice. This screen will not work for everyone though, especially if you cannot accommodate for a long throw distance. I didn't have chance to test shorter throws for hot-spotting, but I would be cautious if you can't get a bit beyond the recommend throw ratio of 1.5.

Here is a picture of my screen with a crap ton of light on, not too shabby at all. And this was a dark scene. Something like Avatar or sports looks completely solid with no wash-out.

And here is quick video of the motorized action:

Lastly, big thanks to Mike from the AVS Store for the excellent service. I highly recommend giving him a call for a quote or advice on what screen will work best in your situation.

Bill
post #26 of 26 Unread Today, 07:33 PM

Super Bowl with plenty of lights on in the room. The 5030ub/Slate combo is unreal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1422844368468.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	518145  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
ces 2015 , frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version