AVS Forum banner

Seeking screen advice

298 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Garrett 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I've been lurking here for a LONG time. I finally took advantage of the Projector People Sale of the Sony VPL-HW40ES and have now turned my focus to which screen to get for my application. Here is my situation:

• Projector is mounted 14' from where screen will be. I cant mount it closer due to a ceiling fan that i have to clear. The projector is ceiling mounted.
  • Seating is 15' from where screen will be.
  • This is in a non-theater room that is semi-light controlled and opens to the kitchen. I have plantation shutters that do a good job of blocking light but there is still some bleed through. I also have 2 dim-able lights within ceiling fans. The way this room and adjoining rooms are set up, it can get decently dark in the afternoon and very dark in the evening.
  • I am OK with a little wash out due to ambient light. I am not OCD about needing pitch black but i want to be able to see the picture if i have a little sun shining through. I was thinking a screen with around 1.0 or 1.1 gain?
  • White ceiling, evergreen colored walls (for now. will be light gray at some point), and beige carpet.
  • I would like for the screen to be between 115" and 120" [16:9 diag]. 120" would be preferred but don't really want to go bigger due to close seating distance.
  • I want it to be a fixed screen.
  • This is my primary source for entertainment. 60% HDTV + 25% Movies + 15% sports (except for football season. I spend all day rotting in front of the TV during football season)
  • Max budget is around $1500. While I am not looking to spend top dollar for a screen, i am also not looking for a walmart special.

If you require any additional information to help with your feedback, let me know and i can add it. Given this information, what screen would you suggest?

I was looking at the Stewart Neve screen but they only produce it in 110" (too small) and 123" (too big).

any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Carada 118" Criterion looks like a strong candidate right now. Based on reviews it looks like a good mix of quality and value. Also the size is exactly what i am looking for.

Is there anything much better than this screen between the $800-$1500 price range?

Also, given then information provided above, would a 1.0 gain screen (CCW) be sufficient? or would i be better off going with a 1.4 gain screen (BW)?

Per the projection calculator, 1.0 gain = 18fL and 1.4 gain = 25fL:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW40ES-projection-calculator-pro.htm?add=8174

#3 ·
I think the 123 inch Stewart Cima Neve would be a terrific screen for you to get. In fact, at 15 feet, I think you should go bigger if you can, but 123 inches should be fine at 15 feet.
I personally watch a 120 inch screen at 11 feet, and i love it. It's actually starting to feel a little small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.