Screen size, did I go to small? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screen size, did I go to small?

So my benq HT1075 just arrived but the screen won't until next week. The viewing distance is 10 feet and the wall has limited space, this being setup in my office\game and media room, the room is meant to be a small to medium size bedroom. My choices came down tow 92" or 100". I was afraid 100" would be too big and the THX ecommended size numbers seems to point to 92" as closer to ideal. Without the screen I atinm projecting on the wall and tried both sizes. 100" doesn't seem too bad. Just wondering if I should see if it is worth it to see if they will let me return and exchange while paying the difference to move up a size. I order it all as a package bundle from Visual Apex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes you went to small. There's no reason to buy a screen at the same time as buying a projector unless you're getting some sort of packaged deal (like you did) or you know the exact size you want. It is always best to get the projector first and project onto the wall to see what size best suits your space and view distance. Watch a couple movies at different sizes and see what you like best. But I think you'll want to go bigger especially since you think 100" doesn't seem to bad, even test bigger if you can. The THX recommended sizes always seemed a little small to me.
Ftoast likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you have to ask,then the answer is yes
ben38 and old corps like this.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post
Yes you went to small. There's no reason to buy a screen at the same time as buying a projector unless you're getting some sort of packaged deal (like you did) or you know the exact size you want. It is always best to get the projector first and project onto the wall to see what size best suits your space and view distance. Watch a couple movies at different sizes and see what you like best. But I think you'll want to go bigger especially since you think 100" doesn't seem to bad, even test bigger if you can. The THX recommended sizes always seemed a little small to me.
The package deal was good savings, otherwise I would have preferred to have trialed the projector first to decide. I did measure and mockup extensively/excessively, but you can't really get the full scope until you have the image on the wall. Another discovery, if I went with 100" instead of 92", I have no space left to mount speakers. Not unless I want to completely remove other things from the room, and I do still want it to function as an office. The speakers may have answered my own question.

My mistake was testing the projector first in the master bedroom, which has much more space and I put up a larger image. Unfortunately I am not willing to sacrifice my bedroom for a bigger screen. Now if I ever were to convert the garage to additional living space... yeah, bigger screen.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Your not alone,i went 90" motorised because I thought 100 would be to big,i now kick myself everytime I watch a movie. Tho to be honest I love this pj even on a 90" screen.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
If either of you are able to move the seating up till your eyes are about 9ft from the screen, that'll fix the smaller size issue. Of course that might not be possible if you've got a particularly wide seating arrangement.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 83
THX recommends that when viewing good quality full HD on a 16:9 display, you should be sat between 2.4 x the image height (optimal) to 3.68 x IH (back row).

So, for the optimal seating distance, that would be a 4.2 foot tall, 7.5 feet wide screen - that's a diagonal of 102 inches.

For the back row, it would be a 2.7 foot tall, 4.8 feet wide, 66 inch diagonal screen. Not very big from where you sit.

A 92" diagonal screen will give you a seating distance to height ratio of 2.66 - closer to optimal than back row, so you should be fine, though you may want it a bit larger.

Vertical viewing angle is important for comfort when watching movies for a period of time, so having the eyes fall around a third of the way up the screen is a good rule of thumb to ensure comfort. Lower is OK, but the higher the screen, the more fatiguing it may become to watch. A vertical viewing angle of 15 degrees is recommended, with no more than 35 (viewing from normal seating position height to top of screen).

HTH

Gary
Craig Peer and bbr52 like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 125
You're not alone (part 2) - I too started with a small 92" Silver Ticket screen and after 2 weeks, realized it was too small and sold it. It was my first projector and was excited and thought the 92" would be HUGE. It wasn't.

Next I did a DIY Carls screen, 120" and WAS huge, literally stretched wall-to-wall in my room (9.5' x 14' small theater room). The side wall reflections were horrible. I then downsized it to 114" and while I did like the size, was still too big for the room. Keep in mind I also only sit 10' back from screen.

So now I've downsized again to a 106" screen. It gives me ~ 4" on either side of the screen frame before the side walls. I already have a better looking picture, punchier colors and contrast and better details. Now that I'm used to it, doesn't look small to me at all, perfect size for the room and my viewing distance.

So when considering a screen, consider the room and what's "size appropriate" for it. Definitely set up the PJ first and project onto blank wall and adjust the screen size until you find the size you're happy with THEN order a screen.

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #9 of 9 Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I guess I was pretty fortunate having bought my first screen and projector set-up last year. However, I got the projector first and projected to the wall watching from my seating position as commonly recommend. I ended up going with a 2:35:1 scope screen at 9 feet wide. The wall is only 10 feet wide, so factoring in the 3.5" frame it gave me just enough room. I sit about 10 feet back and LOVE the immersive effect. Even 16:9 movies feel large enough, but I really get the impact of scope movies and watching in CIH is pretty cool and really puts movies into viewing perspective for the first having come from flat panels.

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - HT1075 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page