AVS Forum banner

Pull down Screen for cinema/living room, need help

1K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  txmxer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need to buy a16:9 pull down for my room. The largest I can go is 110" diag. Can anyone recommend a good screen, priced less than $300? I can't go with fixed, because the viewing area is multi-use.

#5 ·
Ok, I will, can't believe the price of $199 shipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sure looks identical to the Focupix I purchased from htdepot.com 4 years ago for something like $450. All the pics, remotes, gain, etc. look to be the same. If it is the same screen and it performs like mine $199 delivered is a STEAL. I like mine so much I worry that one day it'll die. I was concerned about waves and wrinkles when I bought it but it's never had either. That's why I've kept my eye on the Favi.

Good luck!
Ed

#13 ·
Still waiting on this screen. No problem with the eBay seller, they are using a freight company, CEVA Logistics, and they had bad contact info for me provided by my paypal account, so that caused a delay. And now a shipping delay due to the snow in Boston. ETA is now Wednesday.

#14 ·
Still waiting on this screen. No problem with the eBay seller, they are using a freight company, CEVA Logistics, and they had bad contact info for me provided by my paypal account, so that caused a delay. And now a shipping delay due to the snow in Boston. ETA is now Wednesday.

Thanks for the update. Sorry for your delay, hope it arrives undamaged!

Ed

#15 ·
When you get it can you also please let us know how long it takes to come down. I watched a video of a motorized EliteScreens screen coming down and it took a ridiculous amount of time. I understand that it is probably using a cheaper motor to try and keep the price down, but holy crap it would be extremely frustrating to wait that long for the screen to come down.

#17 ·
So I have nothing to compare this to, as it is my first screen. The FAVI was very well packaged, with hard corner protectors, 2 layers of thick corrugated box, and then protected in a styrofoam suspension. It can be mounted on the wall, or ceiling, or like I did with the provided screw hook, some chain and an s hook.
It is slow, and a warning exists not to power it up and down in succession as the motor needs to cool. I did power it up and down without any problems. I was surprised how quick I was able to get the screen mounted, probably 20 minutes. I spent more time unpacking and disposing of all the material then the actual install itself. This came with an RF remote, and an IR remote, also it has a pretty good length power cord. The picture looks great, but as I said before I have nothing to compare it too. It looks just as good as an LCD in my opinion.

#21 ·
So I have nothing to compare this to, as it is my first screen. The FAVI was very well packaged, with hard corner protectors, 2 layers of thick corrugated box, and then protected in a styrofoam suspension. It can be mounted on the wall, or ceiling, or like I did with the provided screw hook, some chain and an s hook.
It is slow, and a warning exists not to power it up and down in succession as the motor needs to cool. I did power it up and down without any problems. I was surprised how quick I was able to get the screen mounted, probably 20 minutes. I spent more time unpacking and disposing of all the material then the actual install itself. This came with an RF remote, and an IR remote, also it has a pretty good length power cord. The picture looks great, but as I said before I have nothing to compare it too. It looks just as good as an LCD in my opinion.

Looks great & I don't see any wrinkles or waves! EVERYTHING about it looks identical to the Focupix branded one of mine that is now 4 years old, even the packaging. Hope yours lasts & performs as well as mine has. Man, for that price I'm tempted to buy one to have for the day mine eventually dies. No sign of that yet. If I didn't have to unpack & install it to make sure it was ok I would.
Thanks for the update & pics. Happy viewing!:)

Ed

#24 ·
I think the light above it is making it appear as a ripple. I don't think it is, I'll double check. So far so good with the screen, I am not concerned about sagging. I don't know what the roller is made up of, as it is sealed, it does not appear to be a current issue. I'll check these things out and will report back soon.

#28 ·
Currently, I have a FAVI 100" manual screen and to my eye it's been great bang for buck.

I plan to do a significant upgrade this year, but as a baseline/starter for an incremental theater build, it's been very good and we have enjoyed many movies using it.

For me, I don't notice or don't get bothered by small imperfections typically...guess I'm a cheap date. I know some people obsess over detail (not in a bad way--just personality type), and I'm certain they shouldn't waste time on a budget screen like this.

If I'm being critical, I notice some minor curling on the edges (it's not tensioned) and it's a roll up. It has or has developed some minor issues in the screen (waves, or unevenness) over time (2 years).

Personally, when the lights are out and the projector is on, I don't focus on those things and try to enjoy the presentation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.