Need some advice on screen mounting options - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old Today, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Need some advice on screen mounting options

Hi All,

I just ordered a BenQ W1080ST which should be arriving tomorrow. I am planning to mount it in my basement which has an unfavourable ceiling configuration which is why I need a short throw. From the wall where I want to place the screen to the point I can mount the projector I have about 6'6" of space with a couple inches to spare for cabling and safety space.

Since the wall where I want to mount the screen has a protrusion for a cold air return (see Wall 'A' in the attached images) I am forced to either go with a manual/motorized screen that will mount either to the ceiling or to 6" extended mounts out from the wall. I would really like to spend the money on a fixed screen such as an Elite Sable 110" unit so that I can limit any flex/waviness in the screen as well as get maximum depth for the projector throw.

I'm looking to see if someone can recommend a method for being able to mount a fixed screen to this wall. Would I need to mount up a couple pieces of wood on each side to making the mounting surface flush with the wall protrusion?

Maybe I'm completely off base here, but I'm hoping you experts can assist.

For some context, the screen is to go on wall 'A', the seating is on wall 'B'. I have a picture which also shows my mounting limitations which is seen on the layout drawing as 'Lower ceiling - I Beam'.

I hope that provides enough information. Please let me know if anymore info is required. I appreciate and and all assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140728_173907.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	504385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement Layout IMG.png
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	504393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140728_173852.jpg