Alternate ways to mount AT screens - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spec4
  • 1 Post By AV Science Sales 5

post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Alternate ways to mount AT screens

So I've never owned a FP before, always owned plasmas, but I am in the planning stages of designing a more serious HT system in the "garden level" of my apartment.

Because it is an apartment--long story but planning to stay here many more years to come--I'd rather not build a false wall, but I guess I could. An acoustically transparent screen setup is a priority, as it will allow me to set up all my equipment including largish DSL SM60Fs behind the screen. I will likely also include a couple subs behind and/or just lower than the screen.

I am most concerned with the screen rocking from sound if it is just hanging from the ceiling in front of the speakers/subs. Has this been a problem for anyone? Is there any clever ways around this issue, or mounting techniques used to maintain stillness?

Obligatory details on plan:
1) likely stream Netflix 60% (PS3), play blu-rays/DVDs 30% (Oppo 105D), various streaming (sports) 10% (PC).
2) seating location has some flexibility but likely ~16' from screen.
3) ceilings are rather low ~7-8'.
4) I think I have room for 120" diagonal screen, likely 1.78:1, but still haven't ruled out 2.35:1.
5) DSL SM60Fs are 21" square, using 3 for LCR.
6) FP hasn't been decided, but Sony VLP-HW40ES is a contender.
7) I have three garden/basement level windows which I will black out/mask/block. The only other ambient light will be rather indirect from the stairs leading down at the back corner which is bit but not a lot. I don't watch a lot during the day anyway, except for sports on the weekend.
8) I don't want to paint the front wall, so I'll likely use black curtains around the screen.

Inspiration would be very appreciated for this FP newb. I've been reading up on all the details of setting up a projector system over the last week or two, wow is there a lot of choices right now.

Oh, and budget wise, it isn't super strict, but would like to keep it to about $5k, but could be persuaded to go to $7-8K if seriously a set up that I would notice.

I am living in Toronto, so I might use Eastporter and they sell only the EluneVision line of screens if I opt for their package. Found one thread on them (which I didn't read fully yet) but no comparison to other highly rated AT screens (e.g. Seymour) was found.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Check out the HT area and search for minimalist wall builds. I built mine from 2x3's, two vertical running floor to ceiling and then two horizontal. At the ceiling I used a cleat fastened to a joist to hold it firm. In your case a few screw holes are all that will be left when you move.

Attached 120" DIY spandex screen with z-clips to the false wall.

AudioJosh likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! That is a great idea and what I was searching for, basically.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On the germane topic of screens, anyone have experience with EluneVision 4K Acoustiweave screens versus Seymour Center Stage or other comparables?

post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
So I've never owned a FP before, always owned plasmas, but I am in the planning stages of designing a more serious HT system in the "garden level" of my apartment.

Because it is an apartment--long story but planning to stay here many more years to come--I'd rather not build a false wall, but I guess I could. An acoustically transparent screen setup is a priority, as it will allow me to set up all my equipment including largish DSL SM60Fs behind the screen. I will likely also include a couple subs behind and/or just lower than the screen.

I am most concerned with the screen rocking from sound if it is just hanging from the ceiling in front of the speakers/subs. Has this been a problem for anyone? Is there any clever ways around this issue, or mounting techniques used to maintain stillness?

Obligatory details on plan:
1) likely stream Netflix 60% (PS3), play blu-rays/DVDs 30% (Oppo 105D), various streaming (sports) 10% (PC).
2) seating location has some flexibility but likely ~16' from screen.
3) ceilings are rather low ~7-8'.
4) I think I have room for 120" diagonal screen, likely 1.78:1, but still haven't ruled out 2.35:1.
5) DSL SM60Fs are 21" square, using 3 for LCR.
6) FP hasn't been decided, but Sony VLP-HW40ES is a contender.
7) I have three garden/basement level windows which I will black out/mask/block. The only other ambient light will be rather indirect from the stairs leading down at the back corner which is bit but not a lot. I don't watch a lot during the day anyway, except for sports on the weekend.
8) I don't want to paint the front wall, so I'll likely use black curtains around the screen.

Inspiration would be very appreciated for this FP newb. I've been reading up on all the details of setting up a projector system over the last week or two, wow is there a lot of choices right now.

Oh, and budget wise, it isn't super strict, but would like to keep it to about $5k, but could be persuaded to go to $7-8K if seriously a set up that I would notice.

I am living in Toronto, so I might use Eastporter and they sell only the EluneVision line of screens if I opt for their package. Found one thread on them (which I didn't read fully yet) but no comparison to other highly rated AT screens (e.g. Seymour) was found.
If you do not want to build a false wall, you can install a 2x6 horizontally on the wall using 3" drywall screws. Then add a second, third and forth. If you need even more space, you can add 2x4's on top of the stack of 2x6's. I have built a screen out 12" this way, but that is as far as I would go. You will need to do blocking at the bottom as well, but does not have to be full length, just enough so that you can attach. The beauty of this method is nothing shows.

You can also hang from the ceiling and build struts off the back wall to secure the screen to the front wall, so that it can't swing. If we can help you with questions or pricing, give us a call. Be happy to help you, especially sine I have read a lot of your posts in the DIY speaker section.
AudioJosh likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got the HW40 coming.....

Did some measurements. I have ~ 10ft width but that is wall to wall. I could do 109" diagonal in 1.78 I believe comfortably, maybe pushing 114". It depends on how close the sidewall is is a factor. The room is a bit wider, but the utility room bites into my left side, making that wall the limiting factor.

Love the minimalist wall idea. Thanks for that!

Last edited by AudioJosh; 02-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I got the HW40 coming.....

Did some measurements. I have ~ 10ft width but that is wall to wall. I could do 109" diagonal in 1.78 I believe comfortably, maybe pushing 114". It depends on how close the sidewall is is a factor. The room is a bit wider, but the utility room bites into my left side, making that wall the limiting factor.

Love the minimalist wall idea. Thanks for that!
Place blocking on the side walls. Run the blocking vertical and make it 1/4" less in height as the screen frame height. Run 2x4 or 2x6 all the way across the room at top and bottom of the blocking. Mount screen on these 2x4's. Then wrap black velvet around the 2x4's (top to bottom) between the screen and the wall to cover the space between the wall and the screen. You can staple the velvet on the back side. This is as minimal as you can get.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page