Trouble Deciding on Screen Size - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2015, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Trouble Deciding on Screen Size

Having a little trouble figuring out what size screen to get. It will be a 16:9 screen, I am debating on a 130" wide/149" diagonal or a 120" wide/138" diagonal. I am estimating my front row seats will be about 13 feet from the screen, the rear row will be about 6.5 feet behind that at around 19.5 feet. With a 149" diagonal screen the viewing angles would be about 45 degrees up front and 31 degrees in the rear. If I went with the 138" diagonal screen it would be about 2 degrees less, or about 43 in the front and 29 in the rear. Not really a huge difference I don't think, but curious what others have done and what they might recommend.

Another big concern is speaker placement. If I go with the larger screen I think I can fit the left and right channel behind the screen and maintain a good enough separation. But if I go with the smaller screen I would have to move the speakers even closer together and I worry I might loose some of that sound separation, so I would want to put them on either side of the screen frame, not behind the screen, but still inside the false wall. Only issue with that then is the left and right speakers will be about 1 foot from the wall... think that might be to close to the side walls?

Let me know what you all think please

I attached a picture of the layout with the larger screen for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	525553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 305
The larger screen looks like it'll be a better match for those seating-distances at about 1.2:1 and 1.8:1 distance:screen-width, AND it sounds like it'll fit what you'd prefer for the speaker configuration. Win/win.
The 1.2:1 front row is just a tiny bit bigger/closer than average (about 1.3:1 is average) which should be great, while the back's 1.8:1 is definitely on the far/small side (typically 1.5:1 is a nice second-row spot to aim for if possible, but all the way up to 2:1 still happens all the time and nobody has ever died).

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, I think I will go with the larger screen as it does seem to fit the room best, especially with the speakers in mind. If its to close for anyone up front, they can always go to the back row and watch as well
post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
Having a little trouble figuring out what size screen to get. It will be a 16:9 screen, I am debating on a 130" wide/149" diagonal or a 120" wide/138" diagonal. I am estimating my front row seats will be about 13 feet from the screen, the rear row will be about 6.5 feet behind that at around 19.5 feet. With a 149" diagonal screen the viewing angles would be about 45 degrees up front and 31 degrees in the rear. If I went with the 138" diagonal screen it would be about 2 degrees less, or about 43 in the front and 29 in the rear. Not really a huge difference I don't think, but curious what others have done and what they might recommend.

Another big concern is speaker placement. If I go with the larger screen I think I can fit the left and right channel behind the screen and maintain a good enough separation. But if I go with the smaller screen I would have to move the speakers even closer together and I worry I might loose some of that sound separation, so I would want to put them on either side of the screen frame, not behind the screen, but still inside the false wall. Only issue with that then is the left and right speakers will be about 1 foot from the wall... think that might be to close to the side walls?

Let me know what you all think please

I attached a picture of the layout with the larger screen for reference.
Since you are talking an AT screen, what projector and screen are you considering? The woven AT screens are 1.0 gain or less, so light output of the projector needs to be addressed, especially if going with 130" wide screen. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be going with a Sony HW40ES and a Falcon Vision Horizon 4k AT screen. It's a 1.0 gain screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page