post #1 of 8 Old 10-13-1999, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Hi,

The screen is up!

After some modifications to the frame to reposition the snaps from 46 snaps into 44 snaps, I got the Draper screen fully snapped on and hung it up on the wall.

(This is unusually weird. The screen only had 44 buttons. The frame had 46 snaps. The snaps at the top and bottom didn't line up. This screen, which I obtained for a bargain I couldn't resist, was a return. Now I think I know why the original person returned the screen. With a drill and a screwdriver as well as 3 hours work and two sore hands later, this has been fixed and a whopping 26 snaps have been repositioned at the top and bottom edges.)

Now there's still bowing in the middle as I have already been warned. There are some horizontal wrinkles near the top and bottom edge that are still there after 24 hours which ruins the picture so I'm probably going to the hardware store later this week to get a couple of long pieces of wood to insert vertically between the top and bottom edges of the inside of the frame, to keep the screen from bowing inwards.

(I also don't want to do any further damage to the wall if I can help it!)

With the brighter image and better contrast, the screen clearly illustrated the muted colors of the limitations of my WinDVD+Voodoo3+PowerStrip combination (which I still prefer over the Mpact2, partly due to closed captioning support). I'm going to have to recalibrate everything to suit the new screen. Due to the good things that I have been hearing about, I'm going to try installing a Matrox G400 this weekend to see if this solves some of the color limitations.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited October 13, 1999).]

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-1999, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok Mark, what's your verdict on the new screen? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have one on order from Alan.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-1999, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As long as you are sitting at least 10 or more feet away from the screen and you're sitting center, and the projector is above you, the screen will look great!

Right now, my projector is not installed on the cieling, but behind the sofa, so that means I have to sit to the side - and that causes noticeable hotspotting. I'm also only about 8 feet away from the 92" diagonal screen, at least until the screen is on the cieling.

When I stand behind the projector behind the sofa, the hotspotting is greatly diminished.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-1999, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi Mark...

I find it very interesting that you say you see noticable hot spotting. You have been in my theater with the M2500 and you did not see any hot spots did you? I do not recall you ever mentioning it. I for one am very pickey, as you know, and do not have hot spots that you can really see without "really" looking for them. Even then, it is very slight.

Anyway...just wondering for I do not want any one scared away from a great screen.

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science Webmaster
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.bott.net

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-1999, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The hotspotting occurs much more severely when both the projector lens and your head is at or below the bottom of the screen. The hotspotting is not noticeable during complex bright+dark scenes, but is very clearly noticeable during medium bright scenes and very bright scenes.

There is less hotspotting if I stand up on the sofa, so that the projector light reflects off the screen at a more comfortable angle (ie, like a mirror reflection).

The hotspotting doesn't bother me all that much - I'm just at temporarily a very bad situation:
  • Only 8 feet viewing distance
  • I'm sitting to the side, not in front (because projector is immediately behind sofa at head level)
  • Not sitting at opposite angle of lens (ideally, it should be lens at top edge of screen, my eyes at the bottom edge of screen - for a more efficient reflection of light to my eyes, as proven by standing up on the sofa for my head to be at the top level, while the lens are at the bottom level)

Also, the screen snaps was manually drilled nd positioned so there are some slight imperfections (they will be adjusted this weekend). I didn't buy this screen new, and I think it was a Draper reject that I've resurrected http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif But at the price, I really can't complain as it took me only 2.5 additional hours to fix the screen frame...

Once the projector gets installed on the cieling, the hotspotting will greatly dissappear. The hotspotting I talk about here, is that one end of the screen is noticeably dimmer than the opposite end especially while I watch a bright movie like Prince Of Egypt.

Either way - the image is definitely more three dimensional. Laurence is also right - the increased contrast also helps reveals source defects more clearly (ie compression and grain artifacts in a movie such as 'Carrie').

The M2500 also let me literally double my screen surface area for 16:9 movies, while having a brighter image at the same time as reducing my projector's contrast.

///////////

All note: I like what I see when I stand immediately behind the pedestral mounted projector that's sitting behind my sofa - that's close to where my head position will be when my sofa will be moved back once the projector is on the cieling.

I'm just saying, be wary if your only permanent seating position is with your nose pressed against the screen (ie less than 10 feet) while at the same time sitting to the side of screen center. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The screen does indeed looks amazing when you sit in or near the center at a seating position of about 10 feet or greater. (as I can see, when standing behind the projector currently in its floormount mode)

You won't run into the assembly problems I did, if you buy a new Draper Cineperm. I took the risk with a returned (and unknowingly defective) screen someone offered to me at a "price" I couldn't resist. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Most people don't have problems with new Cineperm's and AVSCIENCE will exchange the rare defective screen.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited October 15, 1999).]

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

post #6 of 8 Old 10-15-1999, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note - I hope I'll finally have pictures of my home theater up on AVSCIENCE sometime next month, including my projector, the screen, and my cozy room configuration!

To get the pictures, I'm just waiting for my Olympus D340R digital camera from ValueAmerica (They have an amazing $100-off-$200-purchase discount promotion here if you are a Visa cardholder.)

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-1999, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the bowing in the center, I use a spring loaded shower curtain rod. This is available at most hardware stores and can be adjusted to length. Just place it vertically at the center of the frame behind the screen after snapping the screen on.

------------------
Jerry

Jerry
post #8 of 8 Old 11-03-1999, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
BTW, from looking at the ValueAmerica web site, it appeared to me they only ship to the US, and not to Canada, so I didnt follow up on that awesome deal.

I'll be angry if thats not the case, since the deal is now gone! :-)

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page