Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 5 Unread Today, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how close is too close?

Hi,

Hoping you can provide some guidance on screen size. My space is not yet finished, but I have two potential places where the projector screen could go. The first space is a ~138" wall, the second space is a ~168" wall. I will only have one dedicated row of theater style seating, with a bar behind the row of seats with some bar stools to provide some extra seating. The theater style seating will be around 12' to 12'6" from the screen.

If I use the space with the ~138" wall, I was thinking of going with a 16:9 120" diagonal(w=104.5", h=58.8"). That leaves me enough room on the sides of the screen to place my speakers.

If I use the space with the ~168" wall, I was debating going with a 2.35:1 158" diagonal(w=145.5", h=61.8"). That leaves me barely enough room to place the speakers. If I went this route, I would plan to get a projector with powered lens zoom like the Panny ae8000u.

The heights of the screens is pretty similar, so the size of a 16:9 image on either is roughly the same. However using the 2.35:1 screen on the 168" wall gives me a HUGE 2.35:1 image. Would sitting 12' to 12'6" from that large of a screen be too close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Unread Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
Hi,

Hoping you can provide some guidance on screen size. My space is not yet finished, but I have two potential places where the projector screen could go. The first space is a ~138" wall, the second space is a ~168" wall. I will only have one dedicated row of theater style seating, with a bar behind the row of seats with some bar stools to provide some extra seating. The theater style seating will be around 12' to 12'6" from the screen.

If I use the space with the ~138" wall, I was thinking of going with a 16:9 120" diagonal(w=104.5", h=58.8"). That leaves me enough room on the sides of the screen to place my speakers.

If I use the space with the ~168" wall, I was debating going with a 2.35:1 158" diagonal(w=145.5", h=61.8"). That leaves me barely enough room to place the speakers. If I went this route, I would plan to get a projector with powered lens zoom like the Panny ae8000u.

The heights of the screens is pretty similar, so the size of a 16:9 image on either is roughly the same. However using the 2.35:1 screen on the 168" wall gives me a HUGE 2.35:1 image. Would sitting 12' to 12'6" from that large of a screen be too close?
120" diagonal 16:9 from 12 feet - no problem. But the larger screen - especially without using an anamorphic lens - you might start to see pixels or other artifacts - I'd recommend doing a test run on something with the projector zoomed to that size, before buying the screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3 of 5 Unread Today, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
120" diagonal 16:9 from 12 feet - no problem. But the larger screen - especially without using an anamorphic lens - you might start to see pixels or other artifacts - I'd recommend doing a test run on something with the projector zoomed to that size, before buying the screen.
Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to do a test run. I need to make the decision which side of the basement will have the theater area with the screen before the contractors start building.
post #4 of 5 Unread Today, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
I currently have a 2.35:1 image at 153", which equals a 122" 16:9 with the same height. Our front row is approx. 12.5 feet from the screen and for 153" it is boarding on too big. It isn't too big, but it is right on the boarder. I would be just as happy with a slightly smaller view, although the 16:9 size is perfect. So in hind sight I would do it exactly the same.

I will say however that I have an Anamorphic Lens on a Sony HW40 Projector vs the Panny that you mentioned. I have no issues with Pixel size at my current set up. I have tried zooming out without the lens and the picture just doesn't look as sharp. I wouldn't suggest being that close to that size screen without an additional lens.
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
I currently have a 2.35:1 image at 153", which equals a 122" 16:9 with the same height. Our front row is approx. 12.5 feet from the screen and for 153" it is boarding on too big. It isn't too big, but it is right on the boarder. I would be just as happy with a slightly smaller view, although the 16:9 size is perfect. So in hind sight I would do it exactly the same.

I will say however that I have an Anamorphic Lens on a Sony HW40 Projector vs the Panny that you mentioned. I have no issues with Pixel size at my current set up. I have tried zooming out without the lens and the picture just doesn't look as sharp. I wouldn't suggest being that close to that size screen without an additional lens.

Or a 4K projector like a Sony VW350. It's going to be hard to light up a big screen like that for long too. Without a lens, you lose 25% of your lumens watching 2.35:1 material, right off the bat.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page