DaLite High Power vs. Draper M2500 (again) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-03-2000, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen a few posts comparing the M2500 material (which I know everyone on avsforum loves) against the Da-Lite High Power. I think I'd like to go with a very large screen for my 600 lumens DLP projector, so I'm considering going to a high gain screen (probably about 130" diagonal). I would very much prefer to go with a pull-down screen; I can't have a permanent wall mount in my room.

Am I right that any screen with the M2500 suddenly becomes much more expensive than the Da Lite Hi Power, since the M2500 is only available on Draper's tab tensioned screens, while the High Power is available even on DaLite's inexpensive pull downs?

My projector is floor mounted (actually about 30" off the floor, which will be even with the bottom of the screen in a room with 10 ft ceiling). Is there something about the "retro-reflectivity" of the High Power material that makes it preferable to the M2500 in this situation? (I've read comments that you have to go with a ceiling mounted projector with the M2500. Was that because it's not "retro-reflective"?)

I've read an October post by Thomcat that gave a pretty positive review of the High Power screen, in a room situation very much like mine. Does anybody else have experience, good or bad, with the High Power material?

Thanks. --- Herb Sitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-03-2000, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A little addendum to my post:

I would feel very comfortable about buying a Cineperm M2500 screen from AVS, but as I've said I can't permanently mount a fixed screen over my windows. (And Draper's electric tab tensioned screens are a little too expensive for me. I'd like to not go much over $500.)

I'm wondering whether it might be feasible to put some hooks in the ceiling and to just hang up the 52x92 Cineperm whenever I'm interested in watching a movie. My house has 10 foot ceilings, and I have a place where I could easily store the screen on its side. Is the screen light enough that it would be a simple matter to just pick it up and put it on hooks when I want to watch it?

I imagine that "light enough" might be somewhere around 20 lbs. Does that sound right? Has anybody mounted the M2500 material on custom made frames that are lighter than the ones Draper sells, and, if so, how have they worked? -- Herb Sitz
post #3 of 15 Old 01-04-2000, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Herb,

As much as I like my M2500 screen, if I had a windowed setup like yours and couldn't get the screen in a manual pull-down, sub-$700 version, I'd consider an alternative screen.
I was unaware that the only option for a pull down screen was electric. Motorized screens are cool, but extremely costly.

As far as manually hanging the screen I'm not sure how well that would work. The Draper frame is already a minimal effort, and too flimsy to support the screen without wall brackets or additional bracing needed.

-Dean.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2000, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Eyespy:

Thanks very much for your help. I had only discovered the difference between a reflective screen and a retro-reflective screen after I posted my original message. And, yes, it sounds as though the High Power screen will be perfect for my setup. My projector is very nearly at my seated eye level.

I was taking Mark Rejhon's advice about getting at least ten positive recommendations before I ordered a high gain screen other than the M2500, and I found them between this forum and the Sony 400Q forum at www.thebigpicturedvd.com. I'm ordering a 69" x 92" pulldown screen -- which I think is the largest seamless size that Da-Lite sells in the High Power material -- for $280. For that price, I won't feel too bad if I don't end up loving it and go to something else sometime down the road.

I'll let you know how it works out when I get it. -- Herb
post #5 of 15 Old 01-05-2000, 01:59 PM

Herb,

Congratulations. I'll jump the gun here and say that I think you've made the right choice. Especially since you'll be floor-mounting the projector, I think you'll be very pleased with the screen.

Thomas
post #6 of 15 Old 01-06-2000, 06:19 AM

Do I understand correctly that the $280 price for a 69" x 92" pulldown screen includes the Da-Lite High Power screen material? That's a fraction of the price for a High Power screen that I was quoted.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-06-2000, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I ordered the DaLite Model B manual pull down screen with High Power material. I, too, was quoted prices much higher than $280 from some vendors. The $280 was from Cousin's Video (www.cousinsvideo.com). I actually ended up ordering from Medical Video Systems (www.medicalvideosystems.com), who charged me $285. Neither price included shipping, but the screen can be shipped UPS so shipping's not going to be too much. -- Herb
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2000, 07:44 PM

Why don't you guys order your High Power screens from AVScience? Their prices are competitive with what is being quoted. Think of it as a courtesy since we are enjoying this board.

Thomas
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2000, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thomcat - I would gladly have ordered one from AVScience, but I didn't realize they carried Da-Lite screens. In fact, I ordered from Medical Video Systems in part because they sponsor www.thebigpicturedvd.com. The only screens mentioned in the AVScience shopping area are the Draper's. Perhaps the fellows at AVScience could at least include a list of the manufacturers they deal with in that section, so people don't make the same assumption as I did in the future.

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited January 10, 2000).]
post #10 of 15 Old 01-11-2000, 06:28 PM

I would be very careful with pull-down high power screens. The higher the power, the more you will notice edge curling etc. Especially with reflective, screens, although probably not quite as much with retroreflective screens. This, I'm sure is why draper only makes M2500 with the tab edges.

I have a permanently mounted M2500 on the wall and it works great with the ceiling projector.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-11-2000, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not sure what what you mean about "edge curling". What is edge curling? Which edges?

I wonder whether that applies to Da-Lite's pull down High Power screens or not. You might want to check out some of the posts regarding these screens over at www.thebigpicturedvd.com. One of the big pluses of this material (apparently) is that the picture it reflects is supposed to be very tolerant of wrinkles or creases in the screen. That is, you don't notice them in the picture you see, even if they're physically there on the screen.

BTW, I have mine and I love it.

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited January 11, 2000).]
post #12 of 15 Old 01-15-2000, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have seen problems in high gain roll down screens .... Because of the high gain, any minor wrinkle, crease, ripple, fold, will be FAR more noticeable, especially during bright scenes. Try to get a good one out of a batch of rolldown screens. Be prepared to return the screen for a replacement right away.

You're right in that retro-reflective makes sense if the lens is very close to your eye angle. Such as a table mounted projector right in front of your seating position.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com

[This message has been edited by Mark Rejhon (edited January 15, 2000).]

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #13 of 15 Old 01-15-2000, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Rejhon:
. . . Because of the high gain, any minor wrinkle, crease, ripple, fold, will be FAR more noticeable . . .
Mark - I don't know, since my screen seems to be pretty good regarding wrinkles or creases, but as I said in an earlier post, there is supposed to be something about the High Power material that minimizes the effect that wrinkles or creases have on the material. For info about this all you have to do is look at some of the posts in the Sony 400Q forum at www.thebigpicturedvd.com, where the DaLite High Power material has the status the Draper M2500 has in this forum. -- Herb

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited January 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited January 16, 2000).]
post #14 of 15 Old 01-18-2000, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
eyespy, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #15 of 15 Old 01-18-2000, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This all sounds great...but what about their respective resistances to hot spotting?

And if you've got a ceiling mounted projector and a permanent screen, is the Da-Lite high power superior or inferior to Draper M2500?

------------------

Brett

Brett
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page