RPTV Screen for LCD or DLP projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2000, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54

OK, this seems like it will work but I wanted some opinions. Here is my deal.... My wife and I are building a new home next year. I will be dedicating a room to HT but I also want a nice media room/living room system. I have an oportunity to buy aburned-out Proscan 80" RPTV for $150. It is literally burned out. Lighting hit it and the inside is melted. My idea was to take the screen (which is in perfect condition) and build it into the wall with either an LCD or DLP projector mounted behind. I would probably utilize a mirror assembly to cut the depth. Is this going to work? Are RPTV screens different than those sold by Stewart, et al? If not, then I am going to jump on this quick!
Thanks,

CHRIS WHTIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-09-2000, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Chris,

That's a great price.

Possible complications are mismatched Fresnel screen focal length (RPTV's have much shorter throw distances than projectors and possible insufficient Fresnel and lenticular pitches, which could cause aliasing with fixed-pixel displays.

The best thing would be to grab a projector with the same resolution and throw distance as the one you'll be using and try it with the screen to see if the picture is acceptable.

Noah

Noah
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page