How Big is your screen (survey) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-02-2000, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted some feed back about what screen size and what rig some of you guys are using to get that cinematic feeling. Who holds the record !!!!!!

[This message has been edited by kjohn (edited April 02, 2000).]

KJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-03-2000, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jim,

I'd love to come by and view that 3 meter picture of yours. (hope you don't mind if I eat the popcorn but skip the cool-aid) <s>

I was considering buying a similar sized Draper M2500 or building a homemade high-gain screen. I've read some horror stories about curved screen hotspotting and picture distortion in forums. Would this Oray screen be in some way different? (better curvature and less reflective material?)

Forgive my surprise, but although I am used to the guys here saying that bigger is better, I haven't heard many yet say "Hey! Look at my curves."

Any idea of the pricing on this Oray screen? My sad experience with French manufacturers is that their pricing policy is just about as elitist as it gets...and I don't even consider a local purchase as a viable option.

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #3 of 4 Old 04-04-2000, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Kjohn,

Congrats on your initiative - that screen survey of your in the CRT forum has lit up the board!

Jim,

Glad you sparked my interest in curved screens yet once again. I went and e-mailed Oray yesterday, requesting details about their curved screens.

With a bit of luck they will answer...but let's not forget France is a latin country - and they are probably pretty busy curving them screens.

I read the article you mentioned, but the picture they published made it difficult to form an opinion. The outfit they did the review on seemed to be specialized in Corporate setups, so off-the-streeters like myself may not be welcome. (even the reporters from the magazine were gracious about being admitted to their projection room!)

However, the screen pictured in the magazine looked as though it was curved from the top down as well as from right to left, whereas the one pictured at Oray's website looked curved only from top to bottom. Hope we find out. My interest could be for a single-curve screen with their normal gain multicellular white material, but I'm probably just dreaming along here.

Anyways, as hardcore home-mader, unless it is curved way all over the place, I'll be trying out fabric & paint whether I buy a commercial screen or not.

See ya in the forums,

------------------

Brett

Brett
post #4 of 4 Old 04-04-2000, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Brett Thanks, I am truly shocked by some of the screen sizes, boy I feel like a small fry my screen is just 67 wide 4:3 dia but I just ordered a 80 wide 16:9 92 dia screen, I like big but I like quality with a NEC 6pg extra the biggest I would go is 84 wide 16:9 for fear of lost in picture quality but I commend those that go for the GUSTO!!!! 12'ft http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by kjohn (edited April 04, 2000).]

KJ
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page