screen size? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2000, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being new to the projection screen side of home theatre,is there any suggested equations for deciding on the right screen size,using such things as seating distances,viewing angles etc?I have seen so many variations my head is spinning. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-14-2000, 01:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
dino:

There are many factors that result in selection of the proper screen size. The two more important are the physical dimensions of your room (in meters, H,W,D), and the light output of your projector. For example, if you only have 2.5m ceiling height, you screen height will be limited to about 1.4m (and this will dictate width by aspect ratio). By the same token if your maximum seating distance is 3m, then there's going to be a limit on screen width (about 2.4m). On the other hand, your projector may not have enough light output to produce 8 Ft.Lamberts on a 2.4m x 1.4m screen.

The amount of ambient light has zero impact on the choice of screen size ... it certainly has an impact on whether or not you should do the project in the first place. Ambient light will alter the dynamic range of the reflected image. Recall that black is the absence of light, thus any ambient light will significant affect black level regardless of how bright your projector may be.

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2000, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

DD,

You need to give us a little more information about what you want to accomplish;

1. What type of projector will you use?
2. Room size?
3. Ambient light control?

Lee
post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2000, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys,& sorry for leaving out the room dimensions etc.I thought there may have been a hard & true rule for screen size but as i am finding out,it has alot of variables.I have a room 6m x 3.8m x 2.4m with a little ambient light but not uncontrolable, with a LCD projector putting out 1000 lumens( on order at the moment).Aspect ratio will be 4:3 for television & then how it comes for other video sources such as dvd,so i would say that my screen will be as large as i can get for 4:3.If that can help anyone help me with my screen size,i would be most grateful.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page