Best way to hide fixed screen?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2000, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have pretty much decided to go with a fixed screen (most likely 110" 16x9 Stewart Studiotek) which would go on a empty wall 15 1/4 ' wide by 9' high. It is going in the living room, and I want it to be as invisible as possible when not in use. What is the best way to do it? I was thinking about a curtain that stretches the length of the wall, but then it seemed kind of silly to have a curtain covering the whole length of the wall. Would it look better with a smaller curtain that just covered the screen and ...pictures on the side? or?? and should it just frame the screen? or be larger? And I was planning on painting the wall around it black, but if the curtain/ drapes didn't cover the area, then what??

Thanks for any opinions.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2000, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cut a cheap painting in half. (Preferably a black felt Elvis)
Put it on sliders or hinges. When viewing slide or open. When not, close it.

Ken Elliott
Old 06-12-2000, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kelliot: I hope that was a joke!! Funny....

"Im no decorator, but I would consider an upwards motorised table mount screen, if ceiling mount motorised is not practical.
You are using a fixed screen of soft fabric for what reason?"

Motorized is 2x the price. I was also worried about the material not being completely flat. Also, with inwall speakers everything would be hidden with curtains. The table idea won't work because it would block the entrance to the room, and stick out too far into the room.

soft fabric as opposed to??

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-13-2000, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Brian,

I'm in the same situation as you - and am leaning towards hanging a framed picture/painting/engraving... from cieling mounted rings a couple of inches forward of the screen (preferably centered). This way the screen would be a backdrop.

In another thread Peter (Panaramax) suggested using a two-faced custom painted screen, white on one side and with artwork on the other...

------------------

Brett

Brett
Old 06-13-2000, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The black felt Elvis part and the "cut a painting in half" were largely in jest.

I do think something could be done with slides and/or hinges to cover a screen with doors, a painting, or something aesthetically pleasing. The details depend on the geometry within your home theatre. Of course, the door, etc. will probably remain open 90% of the time.

I am tempted to put an endless loop on a HTPC with a long beach scene and just keeping the projector on, but it would be a bit expensive in terms of projector life.

On second inspection, you have a large enough screen to provide a require a large mural. Tough, just based on size.

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited June 13, 2000).]

Ken Elliott
Old 06-13-2000, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

We have a curtain/drape that opens from right to left. It is hung on a decorator Kirsch traverse rod that extends out from the wall a few inches beyond our Draper Cineperm fied wall mounted (50" to bottom of screen white) screen.

It's size is about an inch larger in both directions than the screen itself. It takes just a few seconds to open with the included draw string.

The fabric is a perfect match for our room and, when the pleated curtain is closed, it looks like a tapestry wall hanging. It also helps listening to music in the room.

We purchased the hardware from curtainrods.com at a great price, and my wife sewed the curtain. But for the size involved, it would not be that expensive to go to JC Penny's or similar store to have it all done for you.

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

Old 06-13-2000, 02:05 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Shelly --

Any chance of a picture being posted?? Pleeeeeeze... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
Old 06-13-2000, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a digital camera but will see if a friend might help out. Of course, if you ever make it out to CA, you can stop by.

Anyone can have a pleated curtain made and hung on a traverse rod to cover their screen. The size and cost is usually much smaller than a whole wall treatment. Finding the right fabric is key. You will be looking at it whenever the screen is covered. We were lucky to find fabric containing the colors of our quarry tile floor, pine wall wainscote, oak cabinetry and loveseat fabric color all included in an abstract design.

We're very proud of our music/ht room which has three sides of the listening area lined with floor plants, vining plants growing down from window ledges (these wrap around and also help hide the cables) and large hanging plants in all four corners. Obviously, the plants are used for reflection/absorption room treatments. It was a music listening room first.

The curtain/drape covered screen fills the wall space between the left and right Gallo Nucleus Reference main speakers. The screen is high enough (50" from bottom) to allow for the center Gallo Solo speaker on its stand.

Unfortunately there is a handmade oak wooden spiral staircase on one side of the room just to the side of and before the couch (actually two seat reclining loveseat with head/neck support). Although very handsome and a piece of functional art, it prevents me from using the whole width of the room to center the speakers and the couch. These are somewhat offset.

The screen, however is centered and its center (with which the projector lines up) is just about in front of the couch's left seat. Obviously the other seat is well within the primary viewing space. Anyway this rambling is probably more than you want to know.

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

Old 06-13-2000, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like Architectural Digest to me.

Ken Elliott
Old 06-16-2000, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Panaramax, Actually Clint lives about 12 miles away and owns homes/property and has just deceloped a new golf course/resort about 7 miles away. (Even though we have building moratorium, drought condition water rationing et al--go figure.) This is one of the most beautiful areas with pristene air and very dark evening sky. A local artronomical observatory located here because of this.

You are more of a perfectionist seeking the ultimate than I am. I just wanted to incorportate a home theater in our home with minimal expense and bother. And did not want to change the appearance of the room or house too much. I love the windows, the plants and the view and the light that streams into the house.

I use a Draper M1300 (1.3 gain) on a fixed wall screen just above the wain scote.

Now if you were to visit and tell me that we could do this and do that without much trouble--then, I would consider some changes. But I probably could not afford you or your ultimate suggestions. But we certainly would eat well.

An added note: you may be interested to know that an Imax theater has recently gotten approval to be built on Cannery Row in Monterey (1/2 hour drive from here).

[This message has been edited by shelly (edited June 16, 2000).]

Had 6 dishes, now none.

Old 06-17-2000, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate all the suggestions. It looks like I might just change the whole room around and get an electric screen after all, and hang it in front of a window on the other side of the room. What window shades do you recommend? Just out of curiousity....what color do you have the wall painted that surrounds the screen?

thanks again,
Brian