Da-Lite Model B/C screen questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2000, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
At some point in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, I expect to be purchasing a Da-Lite high-power screen to match with a floor-"mounted" Sony 1270Q which I bought used. I have a couple of questions regarding some of the optional features on the Da-Lite Model B and C, some of which probably apply to just about any manual pull-down screen. Here goes...

1) An optional feature is CSR (Controlled Screen Return). My understanding of this is that it provides a more reliable return mechanism for retracting the screen. This creates the impression in my mind of a non-CSR screen behaving more like those cheapo pull-down shades that most of us should be familiar with. Is that an accurate comparison? Is CSR worth the extra cost (I'm not sure how much extra it is, but I'm guessing that it doesn't add more than $100 to the cost).

2) Going back to the shade analogy, is this accurate when describing the way that the screen rolls down? Can you reliably pull the screen down, let go, and expect it to stop right there?

3) How do you get it to always roll down to the same spot? Do you typically set up your projector with the screen rolled down to the maximum extension? Because my projector is floor mounted, and my screen will be above my fireplace (with an extended mantle), I was planning to mount it to the ceiling (about 7.5' high), which means that I was planning on ordering extra black drop on the screen. I figured I'd just order more than I need, which means that I wouldn't be extending my screen all the way. This creates the dilemma of accurately pulling the screen down to just the right spot. Am I going to have to start projecting an image before I pull my screen down in order to pull it down to just the right spot?

Thanks in advance...

Scott

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2000, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by srauly:

Is CSR worth the extra cost (I'm not sure how much extra it is, but I'm guessing that it doesn't add more than $100 to the cost).
[/b]
Hi Scott.

Then price difference is greater than you figured. For example:

Model C 52x92 w/o csr retail $534 (with high gain material BTW)
Model C 52x92 w/ csr retail $780

I can't comment on the other items ("I know nothing" -Schultz)

Jeff

Jeff
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2000, 11:52 PM

I have a model B hi power which I don't ever retract (and a 1272 floor mounted BTW). I do remember when I set it up you can't pick an exact spot and let go and expect the screen to stay right there. The mechanism is fairly 'coarse' in the position control you have. However, it did stop in the same places every time, even if it wasn't exactly where I would have liked http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif. This means once you figure out where it stops closest to your desired position you set up your image for that position and the screen will roll down to that position thereafter. That's what mine did anyway. If you think about how the mechanics work it makes sense.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2000, 01:04 AM

Scott,

I have a 92X52 High Power Model B. I'll try to comment on your questions as much as I'm able.

1) Sorry, never heard of a CSR feature. Sounds interesting.

2) The screen seems to work exactly like a window shade. I pull it down to the maximum extension, hesitate, then allow it to slowly retract. It goes up 3 3/4" inches and stops -- always in exactly the same place. It just so happens that this is almost exactly where I want it to stop, although keep in mind that the projector position gives you quite a bit of flexibility. A couple of inches up or down is probably not a big deal since the 2" black border will soak up minor keystoning. When I retract it I have to be careful to get it going at a pretty good clip, otherwise it will stop repeatedly on the way up. With a little practice it's easily done.

3) Before buying the screen I shared many of your concerns. It might be best if you first setup the projector and use a bed sheet or wall as a screen. If you're careful to zoom to exactly the proposed size of your image, you should be able to get a very accurate idea of where the bottom edge of your screen should be -- remember that there will be an additional 2" black border as well as a 1" steel tube that runs the width of the screen. If you buy the 6" stand-off brackets, they will drop the screen about 3 1/2" -- another factor to add to your calculations. BTW -- The brackets are well made, don't detract from the appearance of the screen and in my case allow the screen to miss a painting and a couple of window sills.

Somehow through a combination of careful measuring, a good sales person, and a lot of luck, I hit it within an inch or so and was able to remedy that by an ever so slight tilt of the projector.

Jeff
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2000, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the info Jeff (and everyone else). I think the CSR feature is relatively new (at least for the Model B), but it sounds like it has more to do with retracting the screen reliably than pulling it down and having it stop wherever you want it to. You mentioned another thing that I may be interested in, the brackets. I have a fireplace mantle which sticks out about 9" from the wall which I'll need to clear. Da-Lite offers another bracket which allows for an 11" extension from the wall. I'd either be going with this, or mounting something to my ceiling. My question (either way) is whether I need to mount this to studs or will some sort of anchor screw or something work alright? I'd imagine it would be pretty impossible to get both ends to line up with a stud. In fact, when factoring in centering the screen on the wall, chances are that neither end will line up with a stud. Any suggestions? Thanks again,

Scott

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2000, 01:03 AM

Scott,

Scott, you are right, finding one stud in the right spot is unlikely -- two, just about impossible. I resigned myself to toggle bolts, but when the time came I found a beam at the top of the wall and was able to use #12 screws. The screen is heavy, but not That heavy. Good size toggle bolts should do the job.

The case has a bracket at each end with a hole designed for flush mounting to a wall -- or more likely to a board which in turn is attached to the wall. For brackets or a ceiling mount, there is a ring at each end of the case. You just mount the brackets, bolt on the supplied heavy steel hooks, slip the rings through the hooks, and you're done.

You'll need to put your center channel speaker either above or below the screen. In my setup the center sounds and looks better above the screen. I can squeeze it in because the brackets drop the screen casing just enough, and I have a vaulted ceiling. Your situation may be different -- particularly if you do a ceiling mount. And if you don't already have your speakers ... if your screen case is white, you might want a white center -- or a white grill and a can of paint.

Good luck.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by srauly:
Thanks for the info Jeff (and everyone else). I think the CSR feature is relatively new (at least for the Model B), but it sounds like it has more to do with retracting the screen reliably than pulling it down and having it stop wherever you want it to. You mentioned another thing that I may be interested in, the brackets. I have a fireplace mantle which sticks out about 9" from the wall which I'll need to clear. Da-Lite offers another bracket which allows for an 11" extension from the wall. I'd either be going with this, or mounting something to my ceiling. My question (either way) is whether I need to mount this to studs or will some sort of anchor screw or something work alright? I'd imagine it would be pretty impossible to get both ends to line up with a stud. In fact, when factoring in centering the screen on the wall, chances are that neither end will line up with a stud. Any suggestions? Thanks again,

Scott
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page