Any ideas on a DIY accoustic screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2000, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to know if anyone has either built there own accoustic screen, or has some good ideas on what materials might be worth trying in this application.
James

"Your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DIY Line Array Speakers
My current subwoofer project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-10-2000, 07:18 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

I will be searching out the best acoustically oriented choices in a fabric on a generic level soon. Ther is no doubt in my mind that I will find one or many. I will find different ones for spray painting and differnt ones to use as is. The choices availible on a generic existant stantpoint are various enough that I believe I can pull this off and am stating so even before the fact.

Of course, I reserve the right to be entirely wrong.

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited July 10, 2000).]

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2000, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

KBK,

Gool luck with this and let us know what you find, I'd be interested in if this could be applied with you paint solution also.

Nick
post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2000, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

KBK Said:
"Orientation of the weave for viewing purposes is the major potential problem here. It has minimal intrusion in this respect and may not turn out to be a problem at all."

Hi KBK,
thanks for looking into this. It is very exciting. KBK can you explain the concern with the weave orientation? I am not sure I understand what the problem would be, except if the weave is too coarse you will see the texture which is bad.
James

"Your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DIY Line Array Speakers
My current subwoofer project
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2000, 04:13 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

What I mean by the weave being a potential problem here is that the weave may be of such a nature that it intrudes into the presentation of your system. In plain english it might look like total buffalo manure. Someone is going to have to take the plunge on it, or get a big enough sample size to take home and try out.

The weave is in an x pattern, which makes it a pretty tidy weave, for their puposes, but not ours. It may have to be oriiented in a specific fashion for maximum light output. only a full size sample will tell. It may not even be availible as a singular fabric.

The "Levlor" brand blinds and the other brand I have mentioned have much better choices if you want a material that is like the current standard of acoustical screens out there.

Ken Hotte

post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2000, 09:21 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Ok, I'll go and dig out the little bits of scrawled on paper I made during my search.

Hunter-Douglas appears to make some intersting materials. These are used in their "vignette window shading series". Specifically look for the "Satin-weave" materials. There is a excellent white fabric in use there which is quite strong, and quite opaque seeming and with excellent sound transmission. A difficult combination to come by. High opacity allows simpler solutions when having to implement a shadow box. This appears to very, very promising. Orientation of the weave for viewing purposes is the major potential problem here. It has minimal intrusion in this respect and may not turn out to be a problem at all.

Check this out.
Shade-o-matic corp. (may be a canadian company) They have a plain "roller shade" design with "sheerweave 4000 or 4400" (not shure about the number) used as a base material. It appears to be the same as, but slightly different design compared to a well known acoustically transparent screen material out there. A shadow box is definitely needed with this stuff, if the hole size is correct enough (not to big, not to small) for this kind of usage. There is an interestingly large number of possible solutions in this range of product. If you go ahead and decide to experiment, bring some sort of white reference with you so as to make sure you get the right white, there are a couple of variations.

While I was there, I requested a price quote for the blind. (the shad-o-matic) I said a size of 90" wide by 50" high, just for the heck of it. They were 45% off at this time. The final number came out to $335 canadian for it. That's about $225 or so to you yanks.

Ken Hotte

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page