Higher Gain Screens. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2000, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a E-home Marquee 8500, ceiling mounted, and I'm looking for a screen of moderate gain, 6.5 feet wide 16:9 aspect. I've seen a Stewart 1.5 gain screen and it looked great. I'm tempted to go with 2.0 gain Stewart (videomatte) or 1.8 gain "brilliant white" by Da-Lite. Are these higher gain screens good choices? The angle of view is ok by me, and the slightly enhanced brightess/immunity from ambient light would be welcomed. Would a 1.8-2.0 gain still be considered "modest"? I'm hoping to avoid severe hot-spotting, such as the 2.5 gain ML2500 Drapers. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-09-2000, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't go any higher than a 1.8 gain.

I have a Stewart Videomatte 200 (gain 1.8) 87"W x 49"H screen and a Dwin HDP-500 with Faroudja DVP-2200. On flat fields there is a little hotspotting and on a menu screen with magenta rectangles (Like the AV Science forum screens) that go across the screen a little color shift can be seen in these bars. On normal video I get great performance and no noticable video artifacts.

Good Luck, Don
post #3 of 3 Old 07-14-2000, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked my Draper M2500 2.1 gain screen, but it did have some minor color shifting and hotspotting. It was the best looking high gain screen material that I had seen, but I only used it because I wanted a 10' wide screen, and I didn't want to overtax the projector.

But if you are going with a more reasonably sized 6.5 foot wide screen, the 8500 is easily bright enough to give you a good picture with a 1.5 gain screen without pushing the projector too hard, so I'd also recommend staying with the lower gain screen for the best picture quality at that size.

-Dean.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page