AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Please help with screen change decision (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/19054-please-help-screen-change-decision.html)

wireburn 07-24-2000 07:59 AM

Please forgive the cross-posting, but I need to get an answer before the weekend when I have to make my final decision.

Ok, here goes. I'm trying to decide if I want to change screens for a future move to some form of digital projection. Here's my current setup:

Barco Graphics 800 CRT - ceiling mounted
HTPC (1280x720, 72Hz) through Extron 120
Dalite Cosmopolitan Electrol Hi-Power 2.8 gain 92"x52"

Future Setup?

D-ila
HTPC (1024x768, 72Hz)
Dalite Cosmopolitan Electrol Tensioned Matte White 96"x72"

The screen will need to be swapped this weekend if I'm going to change. The guy I got the Hi-power from will trade me straight up for the Matte White, but he's a 5-hour trip and I'm driving down on the 29th. I am not really happy with the Hi-power material because it seems to be a retro-reflective surface that doesn't look its best with my setup. I get the brightest image when I stand up. It seems like the general consensus is that a matte white surface is best for high output projectors like the ones I've been looking at for future upgrades.

I love the picture I'm getting from my CRT, but I notice some deficiencies. For one thing, even though I've calibrated with a colorimeter, the color doesn't seem quite right, especially the red. I think the lack of color filtering on this pj is to blame. Also, I hate having to constantly tweak the thing to keep the convergence correct. I find myself making adjustments after warm-up and after about an hour of viewing. This may be due to the cold basement environment not allowing even heat distribution inside the electronics. Although I can live with these drawbacks for now, I want to look forward to a future projection system by changing the screen now, if necessary.

So what's the consensus? Better to stick with the Hi-gain or go with a matte while I still can?

TIA,

-Mike Leslie

uncle eric 07-25-2000 04:44 AM

Mike,
For what its worth, heres my advice.
Dont do what I did with screens for the last few years, waste money!
I am on my 5th and last screen.
In the end I got the best, a Stewart electric tab tentioned studio tek 1.3 gain. Absolutely &**^$!£ superb.
In the end, you will probably do the same, do it sooner than me.
Eric

wireburn 07-25-2000 08:18 AM

Thanks for the responses, but between all the forums I've posted this question to I got the entire gamut of opinions: Keep what you have, it's a great screen, go for the matte, and go for something different entirely. I guess I asked for it.

Let me phrase the question a little differently: Which screen is best with a high brightness ceiling-mounted projector for on-axis viewing? I have two choices at this time, DaLite hi-power or matte white. I am leaning toward the matte because it is tensioned and quite a bit larger.

Thanks again,
-Mike

uncle eric 07-26-2000 11:49 AM

Mike,
Quite simply, with a high brightness projector like yours, you dont need a high gain screen.
If you cant get the Stewart, then go for the tab tentioned da mat.
Eric