Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 vs JKP 1.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 vs JKP 1.1

Hi all,
I will get samples from Da-Lite but I was wondering if anyone had directly compared Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 vs HD Progressive 1.1. Would like to hear some opinions.

I've had Cinema Vision 1.3 since 2012 and lately the texture and sparkles it has are starting to be a bit more intrusive for me than when I first got it. I heard the HD Progressive 1.1 is smoother with less visible texture during pans, has this been the experience of most? For those that compared, did you consider it a *major* difference? I was also looking at the HD 0.9 but I think 3D will take too much of a brightness hit with that material. I think it would not be too hard to swap the fabric out and keep my existing frame.

Thanks

Last edited by Ruined; 02-22-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-23-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I never saw the Cinema Vision 1.3. I briefly owned the JKP HD Progressive 0.9 and 1.1. Initially I purchased the 1.1 but found the sparkles/shimmer just too much. It became distracting to me even when I was not even looking for them, but others don't notice the issue. It is an excellent screen otherwise. I tried the 0.9 and found the issue was less although they were still slightly visble, but there is a very large drop in brightness going from the 1.1 to 0.9. It too was an excellent screen. I ended up going to the Stewart ST100 which in my opinion is the best screen of the three. It has a very smooth texture eliminating anything that stands out to me. However, you do need a truly black bit room for it...where as not as much required with the JKP screens. But if you are into 3D the 1.1 is going to probably be a better option - what kind of projector and screen size?

post #3 of 23 Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Projector Addict !

Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Hi all,
I will get samples from Da-Lite but I was wondering if anyone had directly compared Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 vs HD Progressive 1.1. Would like to hear some opinions.

I've had Cinema Vision 1.3 since 2012 and lately the texture and sparkles it has are starting to be a bit more intrusive for me than when I first got it. I heard the HD Progressive 1.1 is smoother with less visible texture during pans, has this been the experience of most? For those that compared, did you consider it a *major* difference? I was also looking at the HD 0.9 but I think 3D will take too much of a brightness hit with that material. I think it would not be too hard to swap the fabric out and keep my existing frame.

Thanks

In my opinion the HD Pro. screens are a major improvement over the Cinema Vision. I owned both a Cinema Vision and a High Contrast Cinema Vision screen. Call Da Lite and have them send you samples to compare yourself to your existing screen. Then call us for a price quote.

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
Theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #4 of 23 Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I never saw the Cinema Vision 1.3. I briefly owned the JKP HD Progressive 0.9 and 1.1. Initially I purchased the 1.1 but found the sparkles/shimmer just too much. It became distracting to me even when I was not even looking for them, but others don't notice the issue. It is an excellent screen otherwise. I tried the 0.9 and found the issue was less although they were still slightly visble, but there is a very large drop in brightness going from the 1.1 to 0.9. It too was an excellent screen. I ended up going to the Stewart ST100 which in my opinion is the best screen of the three. It has a very smooth texture eliminating anything that stands out to me. However, you do need a truly black bit room for it...where as not as much required with the JKP screens. But if you are into 3D the 1.1 is going to probably be a better option - what kind of projector and screen size?
Hi, right now I have a BenQ W7000 but I plan to upgrade in the next year or so. I am aiming for 1000-1200 calibrated lumens in my new projector which is a bit less than the BenQ.

I do watch 3D and was one of the reasons I bought the W7000 to begin with due to its amazing 3D, but 3D content is dwindling so I am more focused on 2D now which is only average on the BenQ. Still, I think the HD Pro 1.1 is the only one that retains some polarization of the three screens mentioned (HD 0.9, Stuart) which indicates the HD 1.1 will likely be a lot brighter with a LCOS/LCD projector in 3D than the other two. My next projector probably will be LCOS/LCD.

The CV1.3 sparkles a lot and has a lot of texture. If I can get rid of most of the texture and reduce the sparkling I think I'd be a lot happier. I do have samples of jkp 0.9 and 1.1 coming to see how they fare in comparison to the cv1.3. The jkp 0.9/1.1 are much, much, much cheaper than a different brand screen because I can re-use my current Cinema Contour screen.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I bet you can save a lot using the same frame. Looking and projecting onto the samples will be good. The 0.9 is technically a grey screen, but it is an extremely subtle grey - so much so that it almost looks like a white screen with a subtle bluish tint. If your room is a black pit, the 0.9 might work okay for you but, of course, you have to consider lamp dimming where as the 1.1 will give more leeway and is A LOT brighter. My guess is it probably has fewer sparkles compared to your 1.3 screen too.

post #6 of 23 Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I currently use an older High Contrast Cinema Vision with my JVC RS55 in a light controlled room. What improvements could I expect from going to the HD Progessive 1.1?
post #7 of 23 Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Projector Addict !

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I currently use an older High Contrast Cinema Vision with my JVC RS55 in a light controlled room. What improvements could I expect from going to the HD Progessive 1.1?
The screen texture that one sees on the HCCV when video pans - that drove me crazy - will be gone, for one thing. Give us a call or email - you can probably just replace the fabric on your screen and save some money !

Home theater builder and enthusiast since 2002. PM me for advice or help anytime !
post #8 of 23 Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The screen texture that one sees on the HCCV when video pans - that drove me crazy - will be gone, for one thing. Give us a call or email - you can probably just replace the fabric on your screen and save some money !
Thanks! I am actually in communication with you guys now about this. I will recycle my current fixed frame and just get a new screen.
But I have been thinking, which screen would provide the best image in my 106" setup (blacked out room/RS55 about 12 feet from screen)? Would it be the HD 1.1?
post #9 of 23 Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Projector Addict !

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
Thanks! I am actually in communication with you guys now about this. I will recycle my current fixed frame and just get a new screen.
But I have been thinking, which screen would provide the best image in my 106" setup (blacked out room/RS55 about 12 feet from screen)? Would it be the HD 1.1?

The 1.1 gain HD Pro. would be my choice. I like a little gain - and it should work well with your projector.

post #10 of 23 Old 02-26-2015, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the Da-Lite samples and it is quite obvious off the bat either of these are going to be superior to my CV1.3. It will be a large, fairly easy, and somewhat inexpensive upgrade.

I just have to decide 1.1 or 0.9 now. I am leaning 1.1, but I need to do more testing. I think 0.9 will make 3D too dark especially with LCD/LCOS, though on the other hand there isn't much 3D coming out anymore.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I got the Da-Lite samples and it is quite obvious off the bat either of these are going to be superior to my CV1.3. It will be a large, fairly easy, and somewhat inexpensive upgrade.

I just have to decide 1.1 or 0.9 now. I am leaning 1.1, but I need to do more testing. I think 0.9 will make 3D too dark especially with LCD/LCOS, though on the other hand there isn't much 3D coming out anymore.
I personally liked the 0.9 better than the 1.1 just because it does have noticeably less sparkles. However, it's also a lot less brighter. So, it's kind of a trade-off. You also need a darker room for the 0.9 although your BenQ gets pretty bright I believe? You are probably fine going with the 1.1 which will give you better 3D brightness for sure especially as your lamp fades.

post #12 of 23 Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Projector Addict !

Quote:

It will be superior for sure. The 1.1 should work great.

post #13 of 23 Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Boy, this is a tough decision.

This is what I have concluded thus far.

My current Cinema Vision 1.3 material is like sandpaper compared to *either* of these. Dramatically more rough and sparkly.

So, I think either one of these will be a massive improvement.

My projector has the light output for either one, so this is what it boils down to:

JKP 0.9
* More neutral
* While the 1.1 has very very minimal texture and sparkle, the 0.9 has virtually no texture and sparkle

JKP 1.1
* Just a hint of extremely subtle texture and sparkle I probably would not detect at normal viewing distance, nowhere near the massive amount on the Cinema Vision 1.3
* Extra gain gives more flexibility for running in eco mode, when lamp brightness dims over time, and for 3D content - or if I buy a lower output projector in the future

Really a tough choice, but I am still leaning towards the JKP1.1. Still not sure, it is tough without a full screen to test on.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-28-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think it just depends on how much brightness you think you will need. What are your room conditions like?

post #15 of 23 Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think it just depends on how much brightness you think you will need. What are your room conditions like?
During the daytime it is light controlled but not 100% perfect. I have a bay window with heavy blackout curtains that seal together but there is a tiny bit of light spill at the top that increases ambient light just a tad. I rarely watch in the daytime.

At nighttime it is cave-ish. Flat black ceiling, flat dark red walls, etc. Only lights are tiny bit from equipment which is in a cabinet in side of room and a tiny bit under seating so people see where they are going by platform but latter can be disabled.

19' throw, ceiling mount, 120" screen.

For 3D, in the screen polarization thread I read that the JKP 0.9 is rated 0/5 in retaining polarized light and JKP 1.1 is rated 3/5 in retaining polarized light. I have DLP now so it doesn't matter, but when I likely move to LCOS/LCOQ in the near future that could make a significant difference with 3D. But most of the content watched is 2D, anyway. The 0.9 seems to have a more neutral surface for 2D.

I think the 1.1 will offer a bit more flexibility for me... Still not 100% yet though.

Last edited by Ruined; 02-28-2015 at 08:45 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-28-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you don't really see much more sparkle on the 1.1 vs the 0.9, I would probably go with the 1.1 in your case. No question the 1.1 is a lot brighter. The extra brightness could help at some point especially if you end up with a DCI-P3 UHD projector which might require more brightness (evidently, DCI-P3 lowers light output from projectors because of the filter that is used). If you're getting your projector calibrated to the screen, the color neutrality won't matter. I had Chad B calibrate my JVC RS4810 to both JKP screens and it was virtually identical afterward. Just spend sufficient time projecting against the 1.1 and 0.9 samples (side by side lightly taped to your current screen - blue painter's tape works great and is safe) with very bright scenes especially with white or lighter colors as that is when sparkle is most notable. Pixar content (Toy Story, Disney Wow disc clips, etc.) are great scenes to test for "sparkle sensitivity" for which I test positive.

Last edited by DavidHir; 02-28-2015 at 01:10 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-02-2015, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
If you don't really see much more sparkle on the 1.1 vs the 0.9, I would probably go with the 1.1 in your case. No question the 1.1 is a lot brighter. The extra brightness could help at some point especially if you end up with a DCI-P3 UHD projector which might require more brightness (evidently, DCI-P3 lowers light output from projectors because of the filter that is used). If you're getting your projector calibrated to the screen, the color neutrality won't matter. I had Chad B calibrate my JVC RS4810 to both JKP screens and it was virtually identical afterward. Just spend sufficient time projecting against the 1.1 and 0.9 samples (side by side lightly taped to your current screen - blue painter's tape works great and is safe) with very bright scenes especially with white or lighter colors as that is when sparkle is most notable. Pixar content (Toy Story, Disney Wow disc clips, etc.) are great scenes to test for "sparkle sensitivity" for which I test positive.
I agree with David, if the slight sparkle of the 1.1 does not bother you, then go for the added brightness.

AV Geek for life. :) Contact for advice and help.
My Baffle wall Build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #18 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The HD Progressive 1.3 is out of question ? Too much sparkles ??
post #19 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualunquemente View Post
The HD Progressive 1.3 is out of question ? Too much sparkles ??
It really comes down to how much you notice them in general. I know of some people very happy with the HD Pro 1.3. But I would say it stands to reason there would be more of them vs the 1.1 just like that screen has more than the 0.9.

post #20 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
It really comes down to how much you notice them in general. I know of some people very happy with the HD Pro 1.3. But I would say it stands to reason there would be more of them vs the 1.1 just like that screen has more than the 0.9.
Well I lived for years with a Black Diamond 0.8 wich had tremendous sparkling, hot spot and vignetting and when I got tired I changed with a Screen Research Multipix 4K grey 1.3 wich had no hotspots but was even worse with sparkles (and it wasn't easy job to beat BD in that regard !).
Now I totally gave up with black/grey screens and even if I watch movies in a full white walls living room I decided to fight ambient light with a white screen with some positive gain instead of a dark screen, hoping it will be a little better then the 2 monster told before in the sparkling department.

I need a 110" 2.35:1 to watch from only 7' distance (Yes I really like to feel inside the movie ^^).
My projector is a Sony vw300 wich is bright but I just discovered to like very very bright images (I want at least 100 nits tv like).

So would a HD Pro 1.3 seem like a breeze vs the Black Diamond and the Multipix 1.3 I had or will I fall again in the same problems of massive sparkling ??? (I can't receive samples in Italy ;__; )

Last edited by Qualunquemente; 08-19-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have not seen the Multipix but I have seen a Black Diamond on display at Best Buy Magnolia and the screen texture was atrocious. There was more going on that just sparkle - it was such a weird overall look to it. I am not sure what model or gain it was, but I personally wouldn't be able to use it. I'm sure the HD Pro 1.3 would be much, much better than that. Now, would it help with lighting as much as the Black Diamond? I'm not sure. But I would deal with less brightness than dealing with the Black Diamond.

Last edited by DavidHir; 08-19-2015 at 07:54 AM.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 AM

Also guessing how does Screen Innovations Pure white 1.3 compare against Da-Lite HD progressive 1.3
I'd get the Da-lite but they're very hard to find in Italy while one could get SI screens easily here...
post #23 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
So, which did up end up getting?

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page