Screen Mounting Options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2000, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very new to the CRT FPTV thing, and I think it's best to ask questions before I get myself in trouble...

I will be using a Sony G70, and need a screen that's about 80" diagonal (my current display device, a Pioneer 710HD, has 65" diagonal) in a 16:9 ratio. I don't mind watching "stretched" 4:3 video, but I am concerned about "burning" the CRTs by using less than the full height of the raster area on the Sony. Do those of you with 4:3 screens find 16:9 material watchable without motorized masking?

I prefer a permanant wall mounted screen to acheive the best focus/convergence possible. I've heard that you can purchase an aluminum frame, then stretch screen fabric over it & mount the whole assembly to the wall. Is this a "standard" method, or are there good alternatives?

And finally, the most ignorant question so far...

When I see Da-lite screens listed on the AVScience site, I assume I'm looking at 400-600 for the screen material only, and I need to come up with a way to mount it to the wall. True?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2000, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally posted by dkeller_NC:
Do those of you with 4:3 screens find 16:9 material watchable without motorized masking? I prefer a permanant wall mounted screen to acheive the best focus/convergence possible. I've heard that you can purchase an aluminum frame, then stretch screen fabric over it & mount the whole assembly to the wall. Is this a "standard" method, or are there good alternatives?
I'm in the exact same boat -- probably going with a G70 and a fixed screen -- and I'm planning to go with a 1.3 gain fixed Stewart screen. They come with a wall-mounting bracket as part of the package. You can get info on them at this URL:
http://www.stewartfilm.com/pricing/flexible.html

My plan is to go with a 16x9 screen, and mask off the sides for 4x3. True, this will burn the CRTs, but my hope is that most of what I watch will be optimized for 16x9 (i.e., DVDs or HD).

Quote:
When I see Da-lite screens listed on the AVScience site, I assume I'm looking at 400-600 for the screen material only, and I need to come up with a way to mount it to the wall. True?
I'm not sure if Da-Lite provides the bracket as part of the package, or if it's an accessory. I doubt if it's a lot of extra dough, but only the dealer would know for sure.

--Marc Wielage
mfw@musictrax.com

post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2000, 04:38 AM

Dalite has many options for a permanent wall mount screen. If their standard sizes do not fit your needs, cut-to-size screen material and frames can be ordered.
Keep in mind, the frame needs to be mounted to the wall before applying screen material. The frame by itself cannot hold it's shape when the tensioned material as snapped on.

------------------
Kerry Haught
www.cousinsvideo.com

Kerry
post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2000, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Marc:

Did you order the screen from stewart directly? If so, what kind of price and lead time did they quote you?

Thanks

David Keller
post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2000, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally posted by dkeller_NC:Marc: Did you order the screen from stewart directly? If so, what kind of price and lead time did they quote you?

Haven't tried to order one yet. Before I try to get a "press discount" (which I usually only do as a last resort), I'm trying to work with a local installer. If he can make me a deal, I'll go through him; otherwise, I may try one of the out-of-town projection TV firms, and see if they can just drop-ship me a unit directly from Stewart.

E.J. Stewart's HQ is only about 20 miles from me, over in nearby Torrance. My understanding, though, is that they don't have much stock on-hand, and typically run at least 3 weeks behind in back-orders.

If anybody has any suggestions on a cheap source for Stewart screens, I'm all ears! (I was able to get a Lexicon MC-1 for nearly half price, and ditto on the Sharp DW100, so I know already that the deals are out there, if you look hard enough for them.)

--Marc Wielage
mfw@musictrax.com

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page