name that screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
name that screen

Hello!

I was hoping someone on the forum could help me identify the make of the screen I have in my theater, the screen was installed in the home prior to me moving in so I do not know what brand it is. there is no markings on it anywhere and I am having an issue with one corner where there is a wrinkle (I believe one of my toddlers may have pressed on it too hard and perhaps loosened a snap), anyway, I want to remove the outer frame and inspect and see why the wrinkle is there but I have no idea how to remove the outer frame. The screen appears to be two piece and I am afraid to pry on the outer frame for fear of causing more damage. The screen is 120" diag, the screen material is vinyl and the frame appears to be 4" wide. I thought it was a elite screen but after looking at their website their frames seem thinner than mine and their owners manual PDF's do not speak on how to remove the outer frame. I am sure its obvious if you have ever installed one, but I fear damaging it and thought someone here would be able to help me find a way to remove without damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	563497  

"although he walks among us, he is not one of us"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
There are no markings on the back of the screen either ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

not that I can see no, I have never had the frame off but no where along the edge of the screen are there any markings. It looks like there was something perhaps adhered to bottom right of the outer frame but it had been peeled off. I would estimate the screen is less than 3 years old. house was built 5 years ago and I know they did not build the theater until a year or two later.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 159
My old Vapex screen had a 4 inch border and no brand markings either. This might be a Vapex, or it might not be. Can you tell weather it's a six piece frame, or a four piece frame?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
not that I can see no, I have never had the frame off but no where along the edge of the screen are there any markings. It looks like there was something perhaps adhered to bottom right of the outer frame but it had been peeled off. I would estimate the screen is less than 3 years old. house was built 5 years ago and I know they did not build the theater until a year or two later.
It's possible that there is something on the back of the frame, if you can take it off the wall.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Old 02-23-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

its four piece

Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It's possible that there is something on the back of the frame, if you can take it off the wall.
since the outer frame blocks any mounting holes I cant get to the back, can you advise how the outer frames typically come off?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
since the outer frame blocks any mounting holes I cant get to the back, can you advise how the outer frames typically come off?
Try grabbing the frame and pulling it straight up - most likely it has a mount attached to the wall that it hangs down on.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
You can investigate Elite Screens, I have the Sable Frame 2 series and they have a logo tag in the lower right. Great screen btw.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
its four piece
Elite and Vapex are six piece frames, so you can rule them out. Elite's pricier frames are 3.5 inches, so you can rule them out. Carada's four piece frames are 3.25 inches. Seymour's four piece premier frames are 3.3 inches.

At least we know what it's not.

If you can remove the frame from the wall, (shouldn't be too hard) even if there's no brand markings, how the material is attached to the frame can help to determine the origin.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Elite and Vapex are six piece frames, so you can rule them out. Elite's pricier frames are 3.5 inches, so you can rule them out. Carada's four piece frames are 3.25 inches. Seymour's four piece premier frames are 3.3 inches.

At least we know what it's not.

If you can remove the frame from the wall, (shouldn't be too hard) even if there's no brand markings, how the material is attached to the frame can help to determine the origin.
Ok, first...thank you for everyone's input, as usual AVS forum provides me vital information..

I have measured my frame and it is in fact 3.5" wide and 4 piece which leads me to believe I have a version of an elite screen, can anyone who has experience installing this type of screen give me advice on how to remove the outer frame? I think Craig maybe correct that it may just push off upwards, but i'd like to confirm this before I tackle trying (I will need to remove my center channel speaker and mounting bracket as these are mounted at the top of the frame and would prevent any sliding up action)

thank you again....

Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

I think Craig is right. If it is in fact an Elite screen, you'll have to remove the center channel so you can slide the screen up and off the mounting bracket. Be sure to have a friend to help.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

You could also try to carefully tilt the bottom of the frame out and away from the wall, while peeking up at the bottom back of the frame for any labels etc. If you see one, you could slide an IPhone up and snap a picture of it. Just another possible idea. I know someone that did this very thing to get a serial number off a screen without removing the screen.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks guys. I will attempt removal this weekend. I am hoping just a snap that came loose (if in fact its snapped)...the wrinkle is not that noticeable because its localized in the bottom right of the viewing area but I see it...and that's enough to warrant investigation, repair or replacement. I don't want to take a hair dryer to it so I am hoping its a loose snap

Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

OK, After poking around on Elite screens site, I think what I have is a version of the Prime vision series. (this may explain why there is no tag as a custom installer may have removed), I compared the frame designs and thickness's (elite has a fream compare info sheet and according to them the prime series is the only one with a 3.5 frame) and mine does most resembles the prime vision frame series but with the cine white material...or it maybe another manufacturer altogether. I will get into it this weekend and see if I can take this thing apart and see why its wrinkled, the Elites appear to have tension tabs and it makes sense for one of those to have become dislodged from impact rather than a snap style.

if anyone has any experience with the Elite prime vision I would appreciate any info you can pass along.

thanks!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

After attempting to lift the screen off the wall, I am certain now that it is not an elite screen at all. the screen material appears to be wrapped and then either glued or otherwise attached to a pressboard frame and the outer velvet frame is somehow attached to the that frame. (two piece), in any event my attempts to remove the outer frame was unsuccessful but I was not really trying to hard as my goal was to repair the wrinkle in the lower left hand corner. In looking at it I decided that repairing it by simply removing the screen and re-snapping or re-clipping screen material was not going to work as this screen is not built this way. The wrinkle was not that bad so I decided to go ahead and take a hair dryer to is and see if I could shrink the material a bit...to my surprise (and I am sure yours) it actually worked, I used it on low heat and moved the dryer around a lot, the material seemed to get warm but the wrinkle was still apparent even after 10 minutes of this, I decided to stop thinking it was not going to work but once the material cooled it was tight as a drum again. not sure if I just got lucky or what but the wrinkle for now is 99% gone. Thank you all for your input...does anyone know what type of screen this could be now? Like I said...its definitely a two piece split frame, one that attaches to the wall and has the screen material wrapped around it and the material is attached somehow to the back of the wood frame ( I think glued) then an aluminum velvet wrapped 3.5 inch frame is attached to that wood screen material frame.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After attempting to lift the screen off the wall, I am certain now that it is not an elite screen at all. the screen material appears to be wrapped and then either glued or otherwise attached to a pressboard frame and the outer velvet frame is somehow attached to the that frame. (two piece), in any event my attempts to remove the outer frame was unsuccessful but I was not really trying to hard as my goal was to repair the wrinkle in the lower left hand corner. In looking at it I decided that repairing it by simply removing the screen and re-snapping or re-clipping screen material was not going to work as this screen is not built this way. The wrinkle was not that bad so I decided to go ahead and take a hair dryer to is and see if I could shrink the material a bit...to my surprise (and I am sure yours) it actually worked, I used it on low heat and moved the dryer around a lot, the material seemed to get warm but the wrinkle was still apparent even after 10 minutes of this, I decided to stop thinking it was not going to work but once the material cooled it was tight as a drum again. not sure if I just got lucky or what but the wrinkle for now is 99% gone. Thank you all for your input...does anyone know what type of screen this could be now? Like I said...its definitely a two piece split frame, one that attaches to the wall and has the screen material wrapped around it and the material is attached somehow to the back of the wood frame ( I think glued) then an aluminum velvet wrapped 3.5 inch frame is attached to that wood screen material frame.
I'm not sure what screen you have, but I am glad you were able to fix the wrinkle !

Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm not sure what screen you have, but I am glad you were able to fix the wrinkle !
I am not sure either...and I am sorta glad the wrinkle came out...although I was looking forward to possibly replacing the screen with something a bit larger. oh well...maybe next year

thanks again for your input!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not sure either...and I am sorta glad the wrinkle came out...although I was looking forward to possibly replacing the screen with something a bit larger. oh well...maybe next year

thanks again for your input!

No problem. And don't forget to call or email us at AV Science when you do get ready to buy a larger screen.