Is a fixed screen frame flat? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2000, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I know, a confusing and ambiguous question. I am considering an installation in which the screen (actually 2 screens of different aspect ratio) slides into the HT side wall on heavy duty sliding door tracks. There is a storage room next to my future home theater and I want to take advantage of the space.

I am not worried about the mechanism, which I can engineer. My concern is keeping the screen(s) flat. Does a standard aluminum screen frame have sufficient torsional rigidity to hang from two points along its top rail, and remain flat? This is the question. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I would sure like to here anyones thoughts on this. Could stiffness/flatness be increased somehow, short of building a frame of 2x4's, making the whole assembly somewhat unwieldy? I don't think nominal 2x2s would help much, so I am hoping the frame itself might be flat and stiff enough. I'm sure different manufacturer's offerings differ.

Thanks for anything you would like to share on the subject.

Jeff

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2000, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now THAT's an interesting idea.

Would you just simply slide the appropriate screen into place before watching something? I suggested a multi-screen system where the screens would "hang" on hooks, and I would simply hang the right one, but I like your idea MUCH better.

Where would they slide to when they are not in use? Would they be completely out-of-sight?

Mark

Mark Hunter
Technical Director, Home Theater Products
Datacolor, Inc.
Old 08-14-2000, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Milori

Yes, the screen(s) would be totally out of site in an adjoining storage area. I have plans for either multiple screens, or a black masking system that also slides in the same fashion. What I would prefer to do is to use a constant-height variable-width type of configuration, and just use the sliding masks to set the aspect ratio. The masking will be made of acoustic panels, and slide on a second track, 1/2" in front of the screen track. I worked out the geometry to automate the "deployment" of the screen using a screw-drive garage door mechanism (quiet,and r.f. remote).

You mention hanging a screen. This is essentially the support conditions that I would employ. Do fixed-screen frames remain flat under such conditions, or do they require the support of the wall?

Jeff

Jeff
Old 08-15-2000, 06:43 AM

Jeff,

I have a Stewart 96x54 with the deluxe Velux frame. It is VERY rigid, and would not be a problem for your installation. The corners are held together by solid metal 'L' shaped inserts which are very strong. I can not speak for the regular frame, but mine is very rigid.

Buddy

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page
Old 08-15-2000, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff, my screen is the Cineperm. A basic rectangle 16:9 screen. The Draper frame is very rigid, 1 inch aluminum. Once you manage to stretch the screen on you get a very slight bend (maybe an 1/8 of an inch?) if you measure the long side in the center.

I'm not entirely happy with my Cineperm. The material I received is not identical to the sample I had received. The material came folded -- and there is still one faint fold line after about 3months (they are slowly getting better).

The screen while it is "flat" -- does not appear to be perfectly flat. Almost as if the snaps that hold the screen on are not perfectly aligned. So I have some visible crease lines (very hard to explain the way it looks). Basically, some small areas of the screen are not "on the same plane" as the rest. So I have some small tall thin triangles (visually).

Roo
Old 08-15-2000, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Andrew,

Have you attempted to get rid of the fold marks by using a hair dryer?

If you take a hair dryer and set it on medium, then follow the folds with the dryer about 1 inch away from the screen (keep the dryer moving, but slowly) the heat from the dryer should relax the screen enough for the folds to dissappear.

Lee
Old 08-15-2000, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Buddy. Thanks for the reply.

Can anyone comment on the frames from Draper or Dalite?

BTW Buddy, I love your home theater. Fantastic!

Jeff

Jeff
Old 08-15-2000, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

My Draper 80" wide is pretty rigid, but does flex a little. I would say that visually its impossible to tell that its not 100% straight when not mounted on the wall -- but measuring shows that its a little bit bent on the long side. This is due to screen tension and should be considered "normal".

Roo
Old 08-15-2000, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew

It it planar (flat)?

Jeff

Jeff
Old 08-16-2000, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Lee, the folds are no longer visible from my seating area so I haven't felt the need to attack it with a hair dryer. The "thin triangles" are more bothersome as I can see these from the seating position -- I suspect its a screen tension issue.

I'm supposed to have a Draper representative actually drop in and see my screen and determine if this is "just how they are" or if it is a defect.

Roo