Stretched canvas vs. blackout material - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-10-2000, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading as much as possible on all the choices for screens and would like to try a DIY one first. Has anyone done any comparisons of painted stretched canvas screens vs the ones made with blackout material?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2000, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

My experience indicates the nonuniformities and grain on stretched canvas noticeable detracts from the viewing resolution. If you use canvas, you need to paint it to remove the non-uniformities, but the painting process tends to be non-uniform. Even said plain cotton duck canvas looks OK for starters.

Blackout material comes in different types and any given fabric store usually has a small selection. You have to decide what makes the most sense. I have seen white vinyl blackout that would look very good for a white matte screen and definitely better than canvas.

I was lucky to find a stretchable raincoat vinyl coated poly that makes a nice screen on the cloth side. The density of the weave is much better than canvas and barely noticeable. I like it the best because it is completely flat, extremely uniform and slightly grey so it has good color saturation.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2000, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Location: White Bear Lake, MN ----- CUSL2C, P3/1.0, 256Mb, HiPix, A2496, D50Q, Stewert 1.3g, Denon 3801,
Find a tailer that knows repair weaving. They can join two pieces together without a seam. I've had holes in suits fixed this way and without looking at the back you can't tell there was ever a problem.

Aslan...
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page