Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-22-2000, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
BL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don:

I have been using one of your competitors' fixed high-gain screens (approximately 2.3, I believe) which is 106" diagonal in a 16:9 configuration. I have a Sony 1272Q with 7" CRT's. I have complete control over light in the room. I am using a line doubler (the occasionally maligned IEV Turboscan T-1500, which I happen to like).

In most cases I am happy with my screen, but occasionally it has some mildly annoying qualities--streaks on the screen and some graininess. I am considering switching to one of your screens, but I don't want to reduce the screen size in any significant way. At the risk of asking a rhetorical question, I would like to know whether, in your view, would I still get an excellent and bright picture out of one of your 1.3 or 1.8 gain screens with 100" diagonal, or whether I would have to reduce my screen size. Are there other options? What do you normally recommend for people with 7" CRT front projectors like mine?

Any information you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill Leete

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-22-2000, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey, maybe we should ALL ask Don Stewart what size screen and what gain would be best for our projectors!

NOT!

Bryan
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2000, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
BL

Bryan:

I don't think your post adds a lot. Yes, of course I am interested in my projector but please keep in mind the fact that the question of what screen size is appropriate for a certain size CRT is a subject that is frequently asked in this forum, and draws some strong opinions. Mr. Stewart is certainly in a position to provide a well-founded opinion on the subject.

In particular, I think that a lot of people in this forum have been using some frequently discussed high-gain screens that have some drawbacks. It follows then, that there may be some interest in finding out whether Mr. Stewart thinks that similar brightness and picture quality can be obtained from some of his screens that have a lower gain rating. There may also be some interest in learning whether he thinks that 7" CRTs can support a 100" screen.

The bottom line is that he is free to answer or not. So far he hasn't, and he may not, but that does not mean the post was inappropriate.

Bill Leete

[This message has been edited by BL (edited 09-24-2000).]

Bill
post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2000, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think that Don may take weekends off from work to be with his family.
How do you like that?

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2000, 08:17 PM

Hey Bill-

I am actually in the "same boat" as you. I have a Sony D50 (7" CRT's) and a Draper M2500. It sounds like you also have an M2500 from your description of it. I like the picture on the M2500, but I can't live with those annoying streaks. I just received a sample of the Stewart Ultramatte 200. It looks a little darker than the Draper (it should it has less gain). I think I am going to buy the Ultramatte in 89"X48", but I am on the fence trying to decide. I currently have an 84"X45" screen and I am concerned about brightness levels. It is hard to decide. Good luck in your quest, I am trying to decide for myself this week. Have you ever seen the Vutek 3.1 by any chance? Forrest.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2000, 08:18 PM

Hey Bill-

I am actually in the "same boat" as you. I have a Sony D50 (7" CRT's) and a Draper M2500. It sounds like you also have an M2500 from your description of it. I like the picture on the M2500, but I can't live with those annoying streaks. I just received a sample of the Stewart Ultramatte 200. It looks a little darker than the Draper (it should it has less gain). I think I am going to buy the Ultramatte in 89"X48", but I am on the fence trying to decide. I currently have an 84"X45" screen and I am concerned about brightness levels. It is hard to decide. Good luck in your quest, I am trying to decide for myself this week. Have you ever seen the Vutek 3.1 by any chance? Forrest.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2000, 01:32 PM

Dear BL,
Sorry I took so long to respond but quit frankly... my typing skills suck, so its takes me a little time to answer technical questions. Sorry that you took some heat from some other postings. I did post a formula " How to predict screen brightness with intent to give you and others the information you were seeking.
These are the foot Lambert numbers that I come up with on a 100" 16x9 screen with your current project. Your numbers will not be as good if your CRTs' have thousands of hours clocked on them.
Gain---------------Ft. lamberts.
1--------------------6.08
1.3------------------7.9
1.8------------------10.94
2.0------------------12.16
2.3------------------13.98
2.5------------------15.2

The numbers on the gain screens would be in the center of the theater and your projector would have to be ceiling mounted to take full advantage of the gain surface.

Regards,
Don
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2000, 01:48 PM

I told you my typing was bad..

On the above posting change "quit" to quite and "project" to projector. I can spell...I just can't type....Sorry about that.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2000, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
BL

Don:

Thanks for answering my post! I assume that the figures you supply are based on the manufacturer's recommended distance for the particular screen size.

I have a couple of follow-up questions: First, I assume that brighter is better, but is there a particular target foot-lambert level that you like to see or shoot for using 7" CRTs? Second, do your figures assume at least line doubling, or do the measurements not indicate a significant difference in brightness between a doubled and non-doubled image?

Any information you can give would be appreciated.

Bill Leete

Bill
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2000, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

BL, brightness and line doubling is a misconception, see my posting in the thread below. I believed it too at one time.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003221.html

Further explanation in this presentation:
http://dtvconsultants.com/sld026.htm

[This message has been edited by Tim Wilkins (edited 09-25-2000).]
post #11 of 11 Old 09-25-2000, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
BL

Forrest:

You are correct in your conclusions, it would be nice to have life without streaks, but I hate to give up the brightness. I will be interested to see how you like the new screen. I have not seen the Vutec--unfortunately, one of the drawbacks to living in Maine is virtually no one has a front projector and I know of only one store with one on display (it is a Vidikron). I am thinking about scheduling a trip to Boston to see some other screens, but that won't be for a while.

Steve:

You are absolutely right!

Bill

[This message has been edited by BL (edited 09-25-2000).]

Bill
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page