Idea for a "special" Ambient Light rejecting screen Paint :-) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Idea for a "special" Ambient Light rejecting screen Paint :-)

Hello everyone,

my name is Dennis and I live in germany.
Yesterday I got the idea to create a new special "high performance" screen paint, because I don't have a complete batcave nor do I want to paint all walls black etc. , so there is always some degree of lightspill in the room which washes out the picture on a white matte 1.0 Gain screen.

I own a Sony VPL-HW55 pojector which is pretty bright, up to 1700 Lumens in high lamp mode and about 1200 Lumens in low lamp mode.

I am using an 80" diagonal matte white framescreen from Elitescreens and want to spray the PVC material with a paint, which is ambientlight compatible.

The HW55 as many other lamp based projectors have one thing in common, which can be a big advantage in contrast performance, if wisely used.

Native Color temperature is the Key word here.

Most Projectors which are digitally color corrected with the so called internal D65 or 6500K setting always lose contrast and light, which is a known problem.

The Sony has a setting called "color temp 5", which uses the native (a bit greenish) light of the UHP lamp without altering it digitally to 6500K temperature.

I own an i1 Display Pro light meter as I do calibrate the displays always by my own.

The native color temp of the Sony is about 80% Red, 105% Green and 95% Blue throughout the entire greyscale from 10 IRE up to 100 IRE, it is very linear, which is a great thing and gave me the idea for creating a special screen paint.

The idea is to create a variant of a black widow or silver fire etc. screenpaint, which is color adapted to the projectors native color temperature to achieve the ultimative contrast performance in every environment, be it a batcave or room with white walls and ambient light.

I want to create a paint, which takes the native color temperature of the UHP lamp into account, which can squeeze out the last drop of contrast performance from the projector

In native color temp mode the Sony puts out about a whopping 40% more light than in the D65 setting !!!
This means with the color correcting screen paint I would get about 40% more contrast, which even for example a 4000 Dollar Black Diamond Screen could never achieve, due to the fact that it uses a neutral grey tint which cannot take the "hidden" contrast boost of lamp based projectors into account !

The idea is a very simple mix of AutoAirAluminum and a mixture of neutral White, Red and Blue Acrylic Colors.
Titaniumwhite plus a higly saturated red like for example "Vermilion Red" plus a highly saturated Blue like "Ultramarineblue" are the ideas for this mixture.
(1 part AAA + 4 parts of mixture).

These Acrylic "ART" colors should be available from many brands all over the world.
Liquitex maybe my choice.
In germany we have also a company called "Schmincke" which makes very high quality acryalic colors.

With a very bright projector or a small screen size mixing black into the paint is also a good idea to make it darker and get even more contrast from the picture in ambient light.

First I want to mix the AAA with the white and after this add as much red and blue till i get a near perfect gray balance with the Sony in its native color temperature mode.

This can be easily done by mixing the colors and create a test sheet and measuring reflective from this with the i1 color meter.

The color of the finished screen paint should be a light red / rose tinted Silver when it's done (see attachment).

Advantages of the surface / screen paint:

- a darker surface than matte white, which fights against ambient light and boosts black level
- a shinier surface with some added Gain due to the Aluminum additive, which also fights ambient light and recovers some brightness, which is lost due to the darker surface
- A color temperature correcting surface (projector can be used in native lamp mode which can squeeze out the last and biggest drop of contrast)

I hope you guys comment with your opinions and give feedback, so we can start here to develop the paint and exchange ideas for the best ingredients to use for the paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint.png
Views:	15
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	576041  

Last edited by nolimithardware; 03-01-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Dennis, if you look at the top of the main screen page, there is a link to the DIY screen forum where Paint is the main topic of discussion. You may want to ask the mods to move this to the proper place where you will get more people interested in the subject.

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page