post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2000, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Don,

Welcome to the forum!

When will more info on the Blackhawk screen be available - specs, prices, sizes (I need 90" wide 16:9).

Thanks

------------------
Noah

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-22-2000, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Noah.
I wrote a long response but for some reason it did not post.
My wife is calling me at the office to come home to dinner so please allow me to answer this in the next few days when I have more time.
Thanks for your patience.
Regards,
Don
post #3 of 8 Old 09-23-2000, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Don,

No problem.

A few more questions:

1) At what throw ratio is it not necessary to use a Fresnel with the Blackhawk? I'll probably use a TR of at least 2:1.

2) What is the inherent resolution capability/feature size of the Blackhawk light pipe elements?

3) Does the gain spec for the Blackhawk account for the tint? The Jenmar Visual Systems BlackScreen has gain specs of 1.0 and 1.7, but a light transmission of 60%, which doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks a lot

------------------
Noah

Noah
post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2000, 02:48 PM

Dear Noah,
Thanks for your patience because it has taken me some time to response to
your inquiry.
I will try to answer your questions about the New BlackHawk rear projection screen technology. A first article BlackHawk was shown at the Infocomm trade show this last June. (Infocomm is CES type show for business and professional users.) The screen technology, we call it light pipe optics, was developed with one particular mission in mind. The mission was to allow large screen video and data projection in high ambient light environments where one would have never attempted to project an image before. In today's world, getting lots of information to people is becoming more and more important. The old verbiage, "A picture is worth a thousand words" still holds true. The BlackHawk will allow data and video to be projected in places such as stock exchanges, airport terminals, command and control network operation centers, point of purchase retail displays, video bill boards, etc,etc. (It would make a damn good home theater screen too, but it will retail for about the same price as large fresnel lens type screens.)
The maximum size of the BlackHawk will up to 15 foot diagonal. It we be available with or with out a fresnel lens on the projector side of the screen. Noah, in your case with your long throw you should Not need a fresnel lens. The BlackHawk has a 2.0 gain output with an amazing 50 degree half gain. To the human eye, the screen appears to be deep jet black in appearance. But there are no tints as you would find in other contrast enhancing rear screens. Since all the light spectrum
passes through billions of micro size light pipes to the viewing side of the screen, the projected light never is contaminated by the any screen tinting. Also, some of these light pipes direct the light off axis so everyone can see the bright image. Just very pure white light and vibrant colors with a very deep black level. It almost looks like top quality front projection....but with the lights up bright. In my 20 years at Stewart, I have never been as excited about a new screen technology as I am about BlackHawk.

Regards,
Don
post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2000, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Don,

Intriguing. So I guess it looks blackcecause its so efficient at transmitting light, same as a clear pane of glass would look in front of the black-lined lightbox. But why doesn't whatever diffusive property that lets it spread light (and not see a clear image of the projector through the screen) prevent it from looking grayish?

How can I get pricing on a 51" x 90" screen?

Thanks a lot, Don.

------------------
Noah

Noah
post #6 of 8 Old 09-28-2000, 04:40 PM

Because the substrate itself is black.
The end of the light pipes are white but can not be seen when not illuminated.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-28-2000, 09:19 PM

Fascinating...

Don - how well will the Blackhawk work with a CRT projector? Will there be color shift problems due to the offset angles of the 3 guns?

Also, I'm assuming that the 50deg half angle holds true in both the horizontal and vertical directions - is this true?

Richard
post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2000, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi Don!

So you guys finally caught up with DNP...

Did your wife ever find that picture I put in your pocket in Dallas?

It's me Peter Montoulieu, doing fine.

Actually designing the customer lounge for the new 300K sq ft. Lotus, A. Martin, Ferrari , Jaguar, Audi, & Porche Destination Supermall in Miami. There are also 7 video conference media rooms and a simulated Childrens drive in theater.

For the Main lounge. When not playing the Grand Prix and Lemans HD files on a digital projector with the new high end isco 1.77 lens (assuming it fits a short throw), I am planning on feeding the NASA earthcam on hd. The lounge will also host viewing cocktail parties for Car Racing events.

So the Black Hawk seems to be the beast.

What will be the maximum dimensions on a 16 by 9 short throw blackhawk?

Regards,

Peter

http://www.thecollection.com/main.htm

Click under weve moved and then, important news, bottom right.

This public video stuff is becoming increasingly more fun than home theater, and my Grand Lux customer lounge will take the cake.

------------------
The Artist formerly known as PANARAMAX.....

[This message has been edited by CINERAMAX (edited 09-29-2000).]
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page