High Gain Screens????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-05-2000, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anyone out there in the diy world has ever tried to make a screen out of the reflective paint that the US DOT uses in road signs?

It should be pretty easy, but I'm having no luck finding the "paint". Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking a good coat of this stuff on top of a SW luminous white might be perfect. I've shot my 400q on a larger sign, but I think the metal sheet below made it too reflective, creating a hot spot. If I could bring down the "temperature" of the underlayment with either gray paint or a flat white, I think this just might work out.

How 'bout this, are there any jail birds around here that have ever sprayed this stuff or the reflective coating that's used on liscense plates? I know the white plates in texas have this coating...

Any info would be appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-07-2000, 09:44 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The reflective coating material is availible in sheet and roll form fom graphic supply shops. you have to go to the guys who make the signs.

When you get there, you will find that it is availible in max heights of, if i remember, 24-30 inches or so. There are other problems within the different types availible. I have done extensive searches, and have looked just about everywhere it is possible to look. 3M stuff, of course. Tough guys to deal with.

I have purchased the raw glass bead material, and tried it imbedded in paints, and on the surface of a material.

if you have ever spead a thin layer of pure granular brown sugar on a toast, then you will have an idea how they make da-lite high power. It is the glass bead surface one if I remember correctly.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page