A Call for Beta Testing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-10-2000, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stewart Filmscreen Corporation hereby formally request from AVS forum
participants 3 to 5 beta testers for a SUBJECTIVE REVIEW of front projection Graymatte screens. Let it be known that Stewart Filmscreen as been actively involved with the manufacturing of seamless Graymatte front projection screens, both perforated and non-perforated surfaces, since 1979. These products have been primary used with 35mm and 70mm
film projection in special venue applications. (*Disney Circle Vision)

Here are the requirements:
1. The participant has been actively engaged in HT environments for at least one year.
2. The participant currently owns a DLP, LCD or D-ILA projector.
3. The participant currently owns a Stewart FIXED screen, Studiotek 130
or Videomatte 200. This is important so that you have a benchmark that we are familiar with to make subjective comparisons. The serial number will be required at a later date.
4. Be willing to experiment by adjusting your projector settings to compensate for the different screen surfaces(s)

Stewart Filmscreen has already done extensive testing of these products in an optical lab environment. We know what the numbers are but the humane eye is still the ultimate instrument.

If you are interested, please leave a post or if you prefer you can contact me through private email on this website.

Respectfully Submitted,
Don Stewart
Stewart Filmscreen Corporation

*Circle Vision is Trade Mark of the Walt Disney Company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2000, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Hi Don
Im ready to go and meet all the requirements. This is exciting.
With the onslaut of digital projectors your timing is perfect!
I get endless requests for greg screens, I think your sales are about to double!
I will call tomorrow!

------------------
Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger
AV Science
www.avscience.com
post #3 of 13 Old 10-10-2000, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes Allen....I think you meet the requirements....I look forward to taking with you.
Regards,
Don
post #4 of 13 Old 10-10-2000, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I don't qualify, but I have a question. How long until you bring this product to market? I'm looking at buying my first screen. And would like to make the purchase sooner, rather than later (1 month tops.)

Thanks,
Adam
post #5 of 13 Old 10-10-2000, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Oh well. I'm disqualified. I only have a CRT projector!!! And my new Stewart Electrimask Screenwall 80" wide HD to arrive in the next day or two.

But I think its great that Don and his company are using our forum to test grey screens with LCD, D-ILA and DLP projectors. It used the be "The audience is listening." Maybe, maybe not. But we know that Don and Stewart Filmscreen are listening! And this Sunday Don will be our Special Guest at the Audio Video Improvement and Special Guest Forum. For a whole week. So don't miss it!

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #6 of 13 Old 10-11-2000, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I would love to test a perforated gray Stewart screen, and I qualify with everything but currently having a Stewart screen. At 180" I couldn't afford to get a Stewart perforated screen for my home theater. But if you fall one person short, or want to compare with the DaLite AudioVision material I'd jump at the opportunity. I'd even build a custom frame and only need to get the screen material. I'd even pay the material costs and shipping.

-Dean.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-11-2000, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I would love to participate! I have a Studiotek 130 and a JVC G11. The THX perf is what I would be interested in. Mine is, however a motorized screen, (Electriscreen?). Why do you need a fixed screen to qualify? Do you just want to send out the material so that someone would just snap it in in place of their current screen material?

I'd be interested in building/buying a frame as I will likely buy a screen from you anyway. I was thinking about your 1.0 gain THX perf if nothing else.

If you can relax that FIXED requirement, I'm in!

Phil
post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2000, 12:09 PM

Mr Stewart: I would like to participate in your beta test. I have the JVC G11 D-ILA fed by a HTPC, the RCA DTC 100, and the Dish 600. I do meet all of the requirements, having been actively engaged in HT environments for over 10 years, own a D-ILA, have always used Stewart Screens including the Fixed, Videomatte 200, 16:9, presently installed in my HT, and I am more than willing to adjust my projector to compensate for the different screen surfaces. Thank you in advance for this opportunity.

------------------
J Thomas

[This message has been edited by jthomas (edited 10-11-2000).]

J Thomas
post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2000, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

dear Phil,
Thanks for your quick response.
Is your existing Studiotek screen perforated?
The reason that we preferred fixed frame installations is that screens can be changed with a minimum effort and in just a few short minutes. Electric roller screen changes would be a project at the least. If a participant has an existing roll up screen and is willing to put a fixed frame in the room for testing only, we see no problem with this scenario. Also, if a participant likes a beta screen better than their existing screen they are welcome to keep the screen as consideration for participating in the study.
Regards,
Don
post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2000, 05:26 PM

I meet all the requirements also except for owning a Stewart screen. I do have another brand fixed screen. I also own a Sony 10HT which I know you have on site doing some work with. I received the following e-mail response from you to my question about which screen may be best for the Sony10HT sent on July 25th :

"Please give us a few days to answer your request as we are currently doing
some testing with the VPL HT-10"
Thank You
Regards,
Don

I am guessing that you may have been working on the grey screen at that time thus no response from you since the above e-mail dated July 25th . If you are looking for someone to test your screen with a Sony 10HT either with a perforated or non-perforated screen I am your man.

Ron Hastings

[This message has been edited by Ron H (edited 10-12-2000).]

Ron H
post #11 of 13 Old 10-15-2000, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't qualify, but would be willing to give a quick opinion in exchange for a good discount on a non-perf graymatte. At least I live in S. Cal.

Otherwise its back to the fabric store.

By the way, as soon as I get a decent electronic camera, I am going to try to post some examples to illustrate the benefit of grey based on a cheapy $60 screen.

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 10-15-2000).]

Ken Elliott
post #12 of 13 Old 10-15-2000, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Don,

That is exactly what I hoped you would say! I have no problem putting in a fixed screen as I was going to do that anyway.

I'm looking forward to working with you. Just e-mail me the details when you are ready.

Phil
post #13 of 13 Old 10-16-2000, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Don, I qualify! In fact, I sell your products, and would love to try out some new technology!

I started the thread named "DLP + Better Screens = No CRT's" And I would love to take a look at your screens on my CRT's, DLP, and LCD Projectors!

Thanks,
Dan Henderson

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page