Matte White or High Power material for LCD projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2000, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are other factors to consider, like can you tolerate wrinkles? Are your theater walls painted a dark color to minimize scattered light? If you answered "no" to both of these questions, I would go with the Hi Power because the matte white tends to get diagonal wrinkles and will scatter light. The Hi Power has no wrinkle problems and will bounce light directly back at the source, rejecting scatter. I use the High Power and love it.

-Mike

I didn't do it
Nobody saw me do it,
You can't prove a thing

An Haiku by Bart Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2000, 12:20 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Wireburn:

Had you used the matte white previously and then switched to High Power?

To answer your questions, the walls are flat white, and wrinkles of course well those are bad ;-) This is what I have noticed the enthusiasts seem to say go with the high power, the people that sell it/distributors say to use the matte white.

What I don't want are hotspots nor nonuniform brightness , BTW the image is plenty bright on a borrowed matte white screen currently and I do not want the blacks getting any less black.... Thanks for the reply.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2000, 09:58 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Here are the particulars... Table mounted (30" high) projector 600 lumens about 15 feet away from screen. The screen size will be at most 70 inches wide. 90% of the time we will be viewing at night so the ambient light will be very low. The question is, should I go with matte white or Dalite high power material for a Model B?? Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2000, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have tried many screens with my CRT, from 1.0-2.8. There are tradeoffs with all of them. I settled on the 2.8 because there are only very minor wrinkles (less than 1/8" variance in screen flatness) and it provided great punch to the image while sitting in the sweet spot under the projector. If your seating area is narrow like mine you will do very well with the High Power.

I can't comment as to how the HP will affect your black level, but I do know that the material is highly recommended at thebigpicturedvd 10HT forum. The 10HT is brighter than yours and has the black level problems that all LCD users face. All I can say is try to find a local dealer who will let you try some screens in your home or at least demo a few different ones for you with a projector similar to yours (or just bring yours in!).

-Mike

I didn't do it
Nobody saw me do it,
You can't prove a thing

An Haiku by Bart Simpson
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2000, 06:09 AM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, I had ordered the matte white but I put a call in to hold the order and have some samples sent, should have them by Friday ;-)
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page