Homemade screen information - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2000, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got done refinishing my screen from the previous paint, tarp, cloth,etc ( this frame has been through 4 different screens). Thought ya'll might like to take a peek at it. Here is the web address:
http://www.geocities.com/sstieferman/

All said and done, the screen cost me around 70 bucks with the use of some scrap wood and screws laying around. The screen material itself was a 20 dollar drop cloth from home depot and you should have enough for a second screen or if you make a mistake. I couldn't find any of the window shade blackout material so I gave this stuff a go. yea, yea, its maybe a 1.0, but it looks excellent under my sony 400q. Give it a try and see what you think.

Scott

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2000, 09:28 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Pilot holes, my friend, pilot holes http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But seriously, looks good. Do you notice any of the "shadowbox" effect when actually watching source material on this screen?

------------------
Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2000, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

ohhhh, pilot holes.... This was supposed to be a quickie project, its turned out to be my longest lasting screen frame. almost going on one year.

actually the shadowbox effect is nonexistant because i can line the pojector up exactly with the black masking. my only real problem is the stain has a very mirror like finish on bright shots, even though its very rough and only sanded with 400 grit if i remember correctly. describe "shadowboxing" a little better and i might be able to give a more detailed response.

thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-17-2000, 04:15 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Shadowbox is an effect proported by some to increase the visual contrast of the screen. This is done by creating a 3-d inset. Hard to describe - but your screen fits the idea - kind of a tapered inset with the screen back behind black "walls" on each side. I just wondered if you did that part on purpose and if so what you thought of the results. My screen, OTOH, is attached to the front, so no shadowbox affect.

------------------
Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2000, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PAP:
I just wondered if you did that part on purpose and if so what you thought of the results. My screen, OTOH, is attached to the front, so no shadowbox affect.
PAP,

My intentions were two fold.
First, I ran into the same problems you did with the cover up material only being available in white.
Second, I was very interested in creating a light source around the screen that would not affect the performance of the screen itself. I have yet to add lights to the routed edge along the outside perimeter, but I hope to soon.

As for the increase in screen contrast, I've noticed two things.
1. The stain that I used is much too shiny. This is especially noted on the grain of the wood. I don't know exactly how to describe this, but if you've ever painted or stained wood before you might understand that the different "patterns" of the wood may soak up more stain than other parts. This has become somewhat pronounced because I have what appears to be a lightning bolt of stain along the right edge under bright shots.
2. The light bouncing off the screen has been shielded the reflection of surfaces closer than two feet to the surface of the screen. IE, with my electric roll down screen, the shelf space to the right of the screen was brightly illuminated. Now there is a shadow line that appears about two feet in front of the screen, which is less bright.

Scott
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page