Closed Thread

post #31 of 40 Old 11-10-2000, 06:15 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I meant Paddy, was the manufacturers of said projectors. I always thought that it would be to their advantage to have someone manufacturing a design that is slaved to their particular projector designs.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-10-2000, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

I know what you meant. I was just playing with your words since it sounded like a line from a great movie. And, don't hate me for wanting your machine specific grey paint knowledge.

I agree that it seems that projector manufacturers could benefit from tailored screen colors, but I'm sure to them it seems like a wasted cost. Why? Because like most corporate yahoos, they are short sighted, and in general, not interested in the HT crowd. It seems their emphasis is geared toward business conference room "powerpoint" presentations (yuck, I dread all meetings at work, and why is it the biggest dorks in the corporate environ, love that sh!t). IMHO, as a projector application, HT folks are considered nothing but a peculiarity. I'm hoping that our HT work will change that. Unintentionally, everyone to which I mention this hobby gets very excited, and says to me "after your done setting it up, let me know what it would take for me to do something like that in my house!" Maybe things will change...

------------------
they used to call it, "the silver screen"

[This message has been edited by paddy (edited 11-10-2000).]

My DVD's or check out My Photos in the AVS member gallery!
post #33 of 40 Old 11-10-2000, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Pat,
I think its just that they are motivated by greed first, quality second. If customization supports the greed, they will support customization.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #34 of 40 Old 11-10-2000, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

We're agreed on the greed. The profit motive drives innovation and I understand, participate, and believe in it. That's why I hope our enthusiasm is contagious! Then there will be enough of a market to bring better, more readily available, and hopefully less expensive options and alternatives for us -Pat

------------------
they used to call it, "the silver screen"

My DVD's or check out My Photos in the AVS member gallery!
post #35 of 40 Old 11-13-2000, 12:49 PM

For what it's worth, I tried a gray fabric from JoAnns. Color and Contrast are great, but brightness takes a big hit.

So, I'm going to try the HC Da-Mat material.
post #36 of 40 Old 11-14-2000, 08:22 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

There is only one thing preventing me from issuing a 'high reflecive' low gain grey paint for LCD's and the like. And that is finding a numerically valued graduated grey scale chart.

That's it. Can ayone help me find one?

I of course, need to give people a proper value as to the percentage of grey I am giving them, so they can correlate their needs with what is availible. Or creatable. Help me zero these suckers in. (no, no, not you!!... the paint's grey %!)

------------------

Ken Hotte

post #37 of 40 Old 11-14-2000, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

KBK-
Have you considered Pantone® uncoated or coated paper? They pride themselves on accuracy and consistancy and their silkscreened papers are color calibrated with densitometers. You can buy a swatchbook or whole sheets to make your own chart at your local art supply store. Also you might try calling your local electronic graphics service bureau and find out what chart they use to calibrate their monitors to their printers. Color and value accuracy are critical for their output and they should be recalibrating multiple times during the day (likely if they're one of the high end facilities).

Allen B.

A woman is weeping over shadows on a screen, a man gets excited over ink on a page, a child is frightened over words in a book-
The mind gets caught up in the unreal and people become identified with it. But its power is such that it rules the world.
post #38 of 40 Old 11-14-2000, 10:22 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

I went to see a friend's new graphics printer, the same day it was installed.

Great, I thought. Now I'll be able to utilize or find a originator of a calibrated grey scale chart. Numerical values would be nice. It is one of, if not Zerox's newest. Mac, monitor, etc. I find the grey chart. In it's glory, the calibrated Kodak chart. Same as before, no numerical values.

I'm sure I'll know by tommorow anyway.

------------------

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 11-15-2000).]

Ken Hotte

post #39 of 40 Old 11-16-2000, 07:28 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

I have the calibrated kodak grey chart, done in 20 gradations, I suspect they are in 5% values, but there is no indication of such. Are you saying there is a calibrated greyscale availible that is a bit more correct in issuance and numerical calibration? And that this ais availible through Kodak? I will have to order such, of course. The population density around these part isn't high enough for such an item to just appear on a shelf.

------------------

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 11-16-2000).]

Ken Hotte

post #40 of 40 Old 11-16-2000, 08:05 AM

KBK,

I'm not the best one to speak about this, but I have had some experience. If there are any graphic artists or print shop owners, they might be able to help out better.

Back in my day, high school journalism - that is. When we would submit the newspaper to be printed at the local shop, they would request a Pantone sheet of values follow along with it. This sheet would identify all of the colors that were used in the paper. What I'm getting at here, is that along with colors, Pantone also made provisions for percent grey. 5, 10 you name it. We could pick the color from a "wallpaper" book if you will, and they would print the exact same color, except on crappy ol newspaper. We used Adobe Pagemaker back then and it had the complete pantone color chart available.

On a side note, this might work out well for all of the people in HT land that have nice ink or laser printers that could print a sample to view in their HT.

Does someone what to create an Adobe Acrobat document with all of the values? Then a user could download 20% references, narrowing it down to 10% then 5% - till their happy....

I haven't checked to see if HD or Lowes can match pantone colors, but some of the graphic people might be able to say what's up.

Scott
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page