• 1 Post By Ellebob

post #1 of 2 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Stewart curved Cine-W screen?

I'm considering purchasing (from AVS) a Studiotek 130 G3 curved Cine-W, most likely 2.37:1 136 in wide (possibly reduce size to 130 in). My very short throw is 156 inches (roughly 1.15x screen width) using a UH480/RS4910 combo. Viewing is exactly 1x screen width in a 100% light controlled dedicated space. I dont have a single additional inch for placing the projector further back and I definitely prefer the immersion of the 1x SW view (previously had 100, 103, 110, and 120 in 16x9 screens). I would have preferred to just go with a flat 2.35 screen, due to cost difference, but there is a lot of pincushioning on my current 58x136.5 (148 in) High Power (also damaged/scratched up material) and I'd prefer to not reduce size much if at all. It's also nice having a 120 in 1.85:1. Alternatively, if hotspotting may be an issue I could opt for a standard Stewart (also Studiotek 130) but in 2.40:1. I believe Panamorph recommends 2.40 screens for use with their UH480. I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1) Any thoughts on whether I will have hotspotting?

2) Approximately how far out will the sides of the screen protrude from the wall? I use black velvet curtains on track to mask for 16x9.

3) Anyone have a pic of a Cine-W? I couldn't find any with a search and I really want to make 100% sure I'm doing this right if I'm going to spend a small fortune on it .

Last edited by RobZ; Yesterday at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you are using an A-lens a curved screen has a lot of advantages especially with a screen that has gain. It will help reduce the pincushion effect and requires less convergence adjustment, it will have better screen uniformity, reduce side wall reflections and reduce hot spotting. I don't see any reason not to go with a curved screen with an A-lens except cost.
RobZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens