• 1 Post By IanR
post #1 of 7 Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Did I order the wrong screen?

Hi,

I'm building a theater room in my house for the first time and I'm not sure if I made a mistake with my screen. Nothing is hooked up or mounted yet.

My projector is Sony VPL-HW40ES. It'll be approx 17 feet away from the screen. The room will be completely dark.

I meant to order the Draper Onyx Matt White XT1000V (1 gain) but instead ordered Pure White XT1300V (1.3 gain).

Is this going to make a difference in picture quality or color? Will I regret this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1979 View Post
Hi,

I'm building a theater room in my house for the first time and I'm not sure if I made a mistake with my screen. Nothing is hooked up or mounted yet.

My projector is Sony VPL-HW40ES. It'll be approx 17 feet away from the screen. The room will be completely dark.

I meant to order the Draper Onyx Matt White XT1000V (1 gain) but instead ordered Pure White XT1300V (1.3 gain).

Is this going to make a difference in picture quality or color? Will I regret this?

Thanks

I'm betting it'll be fine but it'd be nice to know what size screen you're talking about. You can always find ways to tone down brightness but if the pic isn't bright enough not much you can do. Also, the lamp starts getting dimmer from the 1st time you use the pj, not brighter. JMHO

Ed
post #3 of 7 Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have an HW40ES as well .. projecting from about 14' onto a DIY painted 105" diagonal screen with a gain of about 1.3 according to the guys who came up with paint mixture. I was concerned about the higher gain as well but it works fine even on ECO (low-light) mode. I don't know anything about the quality of that specific screen but if you're concerned about the gain, I don't think you need to be. And as Old Corps said, the bulb will dim over time and if you have a larger screen and watch a lot of 3D, you'll appreciate the higher gain.
old corps likes this.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #4 of 7 Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the same projector using a SeymourAV Glacier White non-AT 1.3 gain screen at a throw distance of 16.9 feet. I run the pj in eco mode all the time (except for 3D) and the picture is exceptional!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

It's a 120" diagonal screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
I'm betting it'll be fine but it'd be nice to know what size screen you're talking about. You can always find ways to tone down brightness but if the pic isn't bright enough not much you can do. Also, the lamp starts getting dimmer from the 1st time you use the pj, not brighter. JMHO

Ed
post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, it definitely helps. I guess I don't need to be too concerned
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you still get good black levels and depth with a 1.3 gain on that Sony projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page