Is 16:9 always the same? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-03-2000, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to upgrade my HT from a 100" 4:3 to a 16:9. I do not have the projector yet. Am I safe in ordering a 16:9, approx 125", without knowing which projector I will end up buying? Is the 16:9 size consistent between the projector manufacturers?

I am considering either LCD or DLP projectors. Is the Stewart 130 a good choice?

Any ideas are really appreciated.

Art

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man can be king.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-03-2000, 04:30 PM
S2K

I would say so, yes. The aspect is going to have more to do with your source than your projector. You should be aware, however, that if you get a DLP or most LCDs (sans the Sony 10HT), you will be getting a 4:3 panel. So, if you watch 4:3 source than you will have some image either above or below (since you can zoom to not have both) of the screen. On a 1024X768 DLP projector you will be using 576 pixels to view 16:9 source unless you get something like a panamorph lens. Regardless the real question is what material you use the projector most often for. If it is 16:9 than you will be fine with a 16:9 screen. If it is 4:3 than you may want to stay with your 4:3 screen although a 16:9 screen will certainly work as long as you aware of its limitations.

If you get the Sony 10HT than you don't have to worry about either since it has a 16:9 panel. This is not an endorsement of the projector (as I decided against it), however, it is worth noting.

The Stewart is a great screen. I actually have a Da-Lite which I also like very much. Chances are with either LCD or DLP you will wind up with the same screen gain no matter the projector.

Lastly, you could spend much less money and mask off your screen effectively giving you the best of the 4:3 and 16:9 world. Just an option.

Best of luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2000, 08:35 AM

Hi,

I would wait with ordering the screen until you know what projector you want to buy. The problem is not so much the aspect ratio, it is the throw ratio of the projector and the available zoom range. If you have limits regarding projector placement you may end up with not able to fill the screen correctly. Further limits are introduced if you want to use some anamorphic adapter in the future.

Emil
post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2000, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Art,

I found to my Plus UP-1100 to be about .5% too narrow for 4:3 material. That ain't much

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2000, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Your comments have given me an idea. Since I already have the 4:3 in place and it is going to stay there (as a block for the window opening it is in), the 16:9 will come down about 12" in front of the 4:3. So, now I will have have a screen for each format...in theory, at least.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man can be king.
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page