Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-08-2000, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In light of the recent thread on home-made mechanised upper/lower masking systems, with or without a motor (see current thread in this Screens forum), I was wondering if DA-Lite, Stewart, or any other screen maker produces a Model-B type manually retractable screen that does not use the spring-return feature with pre-determined stops. Instead, what I am looking for is a Model-B type manual retract screen with the continuous-position feature with draw chain/string described in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000576.html

Such a screen would enable a simple-to-implement method to "mask" your screen at the lower border, as I do with my Model B 96"x72" matte white screen, with one small problem.

I covered the lower metal bar on my Model B (the metal tube with a slit that retains the lower edge of the screen as well as the pull-down handle) with adhesive-backed black felt. I also covered the wall behind the screen with black felt, stapled to the wall.

My upper mask is an 8' wide wood curtain rod with 8' wide black felt stapled and wound onto the rod, with its lower edge using an 8' piece of wooden molding sewn into a pocket for a razor sharp, straight edge.

For 1.78 or greater aspect ratios, I manually turn the upper mask to lower into position, and raise the Model B using its spring return feature. The black felt now exposed on the wall behind the screen and on the lower screen bar provided the lower mask.

The only issue is, the Model-B's stops do not coincide with the lower image edge of any aspect ratio- the lower black felt on the screen retention bar is usually a few inches below the image, resulting in a narrow residual gray bar between the bottom of the image and the screen rention bar.

Can the Model B's stops be modified? Is there a continuously variable version of the Model B out there?

Assuming you already own a Model B, the total cost of this approach is about $30 (wood curtain rod with brackets and ends, and some black felt from a fabric store), with excellent results, providing full perimeter masking (the walls to the left and right of my screen are hung with black felt, also).

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 12-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 12-08-2000).]
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page