Shower curtain or Table cloth - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-13-2000, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about using a Shower curtain or Tablecloth for the screen material. I bought a $2.33 shower curtain yesterday. I haven't tried it, it will be hell getting the wrinkles out but it could work?? I think a vinyl-cloth tablecloth would work better but for $2.33 we will see.
PS> I am sure this is not an original idea....

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-13-2000, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

When I first got my projector I put together a temporary screen out of 3 pull down blinds. It cost me less than $9 for the pull downs ($1 each) and the wood, screws, staples. This was cheaper than the shower curtains I found. I needed a frame since the wall behind wasn't flat -- otherwise I would have just temporarily painted the wall.

It had wrinkles, and lines where the blinds overlapped -- but I was only trying to make do until my screen showed up. The image was actually ok -- but what a difference a real screen made!

To remove the wrinkles you might try a hairdryer -- but for all of the trouble you may as well buy some of the blackout material being used by many of the DIYers in this forum. It is used for the backing of curtains I believe and is available at many fabric stores. Do a search in this forum for DIY screens. I believe this fabric is more durable than the light nylon that a shower curtain is made of and thus can be stretched a little better.

Roo
post #3 of 8 Old 12-13-2000, 03:05 PM

Just remember, your projector is meant to go big. To most people a shower curtain is certainly big, but its not movie-like. To go bigger, I would suggest the blackout or drop cloth ideas.

Here is a link to my current screen, http://www.geocities.com/sstieferman

Its 3+ years old, has been through 4 different fabrics, and cost less than 50 bucks.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-13-2000, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

My screen is gray fabric. I have found that the selection of gray fabrics is limited. If you want cheap, get the 50% off coupon and go choose your screen.

If anyone tries the light grey cotton felt, let me know how it looks. I came to the conclusion that it would soften the image too much. I'd like to know if I'm wrong. Also the iron board fabric looks interesting but only comes in a 48" width. Good for some smaller 16:9 screens. I'd also be interested in how it looks.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2000, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering. I want a 4:3 screen with a width of 96, I think the height is 79. I will then use a mask for 16:9 Anyway I am using a king sized sheet right now and it looks good. It lets too much light bleed through though. I was thinking about dying it or painting it a shade of gray that works well with my projector. I thought that another material would work better. I don't know if you can find shower curtains larger then 70x79? Or a table cloth larger then 50x110. I know they make 80in round tablecloths so I know the material is out there. Can you get black out material wider then 54 without a seam? At a reasonable price?

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2000, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Go to Joann Fabrics and hope for the best.

If you try dyeing, let us know how it works out. You don't need much gray.

------------------
Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 12-14-2000).]

Ken Elliott
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2000, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You're risking life and limb trying to use your projector in the shower. It could be a shocking experience, plus I think the water droplets on the curtain will distort the picture.

As far as using the table cloth, please be careful. I did the same thing at Thanksgiving and it took me a week to get the gravy off the lens.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
Steve

Trying to figure it ALL out (and hope I never do!!)
See my HT at www.citycinema.s5.com,featuring the Sony VPL-VW10HT LCD Projector!

Steve
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2000, 03:46 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I went looking for high grade vynils for usage as screen painting base materials. I found some manufacturers of some very nice matte finished white vynils. Some of them are the same manufacturers of the better vynil tablecloths. Hmmmmmm......(same stuff, sometimes, but much cheaper than buying off of the roll, and you get the 80"!!) Hit the pro-level restaraunt suppliers for a better chance.

There is always a better way.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page