Silver Screen pros & cons?. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2000, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm new to this forum and this my first time posting anything here, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant. I was just recently introduced to the benefits of a HTPC through a member of this forum, but before I invest in a HTPC, I have a question about my screen. I'm a collector of 16mm, 35mm, and 70mm films, and because of this hobby, I have a silver screen that is needed for my 3D films that I occasionally have the pleasure of viewing. My question is this, do I have to replace my silver screen with a more compatible screen for the HTPC?, or is this screen fine for a HTPC?, what are the pros & cons?. "Thank you" to everyone who reply's to this topic, Chris.

"Here's to Swimmin with Bowlegged Women"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2000, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe, maybe not, the main question will be whether hot-spotting is annoying or a problem. If the screen is very high gain as are many silver screens, you may have hot-spotting. If the screen has high gain, it also has to to with where the projector is and where you are sitting. However, silver screens act like gray screens in many ways and can have similar advantages.

If you have high gain and the screen is susceptible to hot-spotting, you don't want to be sitting on a direct line with the reflection of the projectors light output. Mounting the proejector on an opposing wall is generally better than a ceiling mount in this respect.

If you can borrow a projector, you can check things out pretty quickly.

Congratulations on your first post!
------------------
Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 12-17-2000).]

Ken Elliott
Old 12-17-2000, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The Benefit of the silver screen which is only hot spot free in a compound curved screen application is that if: linearity of image luminosity is achieved as in the TORUS, then preservation of the polarised image exists.

That is great for 3d, but for pseudo 3 d, a torus screen matches the projection's maximum perspectivity range , without the 3d silver screen.

It is then, a 3 d thing. For regular watching, a white pearlescent 3.1 surface represents the threshold, based on the repruduction of realistic paper like shades of white. Which I wonder how a GREY SCREEN can aproximate.

------------------
The Artist formerly known as PANARAMAX.....