M1300 and M2500 Compared - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2000, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve had a chance to directly compare the Draper M1300 and M2500 material in my home theater. The results below are a combination of subjective and objective measurements.

Test environment (admittedly non-ideal):
Ceiling mounted Sony VPH 1272Q.
DVDO, Tosh 5109, Avia.
106†diagonal 16:9 Cineperm wall mounted screen.
Area immediately behind the screen is painted flat black.
Screen wall and side walls are painted a medium beige color. (WAF)
Ceiling is White acoustical tile, carpet floor is a medium beige color.
Measurements made 12 ft from screen.

Brightness:
Using the M2500 material, I set the projector contrast for 11.0 ft-lamberts off the center of the screen, 100 IRE, as measured with a Minolta LM-100 photometer. The M1300 material measured about 6.5 ft-lamberts under the same conditions. Assuming the M1300 has a gain of 1.3, this would put the M2500 gain at 2.2. I verified this using a Kodak Neutral Test Card with a reflectivity of 88%.

Uniformity:
M2500 hotspotting was 120% using the Avia hotspotting test.
M1300 hotspotting was 40% using the Avia hotspotting test.
Overall, with video program material, the M1300 exhibited a smoother and more uniform appearance across the entire field of view.

Color shift:
M2500 exhibits significant color shift left to right. It is not generally noticeable on program material, with the exception of sky scenes and solid color neutral backgrounds found in some animated material.
M1300 exhibited no visible or measurable color shift.

Contrast:
Not measured, didn’t want to leave the 16 rectangle test pattern up for very long!

Gamma
M2500 2.2 using the Avia Gamma test.
M1300 1.8 using the Avia Gamma test.
This may account for reports of the M2500 appearing “punchier†and “more 3Dâ€

Texture:
M2500 exhibited visible vertical streaking and a grainy overall texture. This was especially noticeable in bright scenes.
M1300 had a very smooth and uniform appearance, and no visible texture.

Ambient light tolerance:
The M2500 is clearly much less sensitive to ambient light. Sorry, didn’t take any data, but my guess is there is a 2:1 difference. It is clearly noticeable.

Notes:
1.) This is my second M2500 screen, and it is dramatically better than the first wrt vertical streaking and artifacts.
2.) In order to get 11 ft lamberts with the M1300, I had to turn the projector contrast up from 60 to 80. At this level, I’m getting some blooming.

All this has led me to convince my darling bride to paint the screen wall and side walls black, or at least build a lightbox around the screen. I’m sure this will help improve what appeared to be lower contrast with the M1300. Now I’ve got to work on a black ceiling and a very dark rug, and I’ll have it. (These things must be done incrementally at the Rosback residence!)

Bottom line, for now, I’ve decided to stick with the M2500 due to its higher brightness and perceived contrast. But I really like the uniformity and smoothness of the M1300 material. Unfortunately, the M1300 simply isn’t bright enough without overdriving my projector. And I’m not willing to live with a smaller screen!

Hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

------------------
Tom Rosback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-27-2000, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tom.

Could you explain how a screen can change gamma? I would really like to know.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------
The Mothership is now boarding.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-29-2000, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, I can't. I have a hunch, though.

Since I don't have black walls, floor, and ceiling, reflected light is an issue. The Avia Gamma test screen consists of several gray patches superimposed on a background of alternating black and white lines. You have to de-focus your eyes find the patch that most closely matches the background. The M1300 material was more susceptible to stray ambient light, so suspect that light relected back on the screen was the culprit.

I didn't measure contrast ratio with both materials because I was getting very inconsistent and non-repeateble readings on the Minolta LM-100. But visually, the M2500 material clearly had higher contrast.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could shed some light on the subject?
(ouch, bad pun.)

------------------
Tom Rosback
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page