Closed Thread

post #61 of 63 Old 01-08-2001, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don Stewart,

Say, how about making me another "beta tester"? Sure like to try the Greyhawk screen material not only with video but film images as well. A chunk of non-perforated, un-backed screen material around 13' x 6' dimensions will do for a scope ratioed screen; no need for the factory frame as my screen is a custom-built affair.

Video maging will be provided by a Dukane 9015 D-ILA (calibrated)/Isco I anomorphic lens attachment, and 35mm/70mm film sources.
So what do 'ya say? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

PS: Used to own a 10' diagonal Stewart Videomatte 2000 screen (fixed)--superb...

-THTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 01-08-2001, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Ben,

Actually, most of the people in the beta test had the regular non-perforated Grayhawk screens, which is why there were so few comments about the microperf versions with regard to sound properties (good), and visual properties (good for me). But all of the general comments given were about non-perforated Grayhawk screens used with a variety of different digital projectors.

The perforated screens do cost more, as they have to be custom made, and only a few home theater applications need to have the speakers behind the screen.

-Dean.
post #63 of 63 Old 01-08-2001, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Dennis,

Bummer! I think that 96" is just close enough to the 95" null that it may indeed not be visible. By the way, the null my actually be at 96", (or 94" for that matter). I was in too much a hurry that day to find the null center.

It will be most interesting to see what your larger size installs will do. The CRT only has horizontal lines which are, I guess, too close together to have an issue, (my Runco didn't have a problem either).

Frank,

As a last resort, I could place the speakers below the screen. That's where they are now but that is definitely not optimal.

I still haven't given up on some kind of fix. I think that the ISCO-2 will help some although not as much as the ISCO-1 since it's much sharper.

Also the screen that I am going with will be much wider than the 100" that I have now so that may also help.

What I would like to accomplish with my testing at Dean's house is to provide Don with a definitive set of guidelines for various D-ILA setups and screen sizes so that he can be better informed on futuer sales. In the process I will discover what the best solution for me will be, (including no perf as a last resort).

Don/Dean,

I called Alan and the word is that Germany ran out of glass so they won't have the units to him for two weeks. That means that I won't get one for three weeks.

Phil
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page