Will Greyhawk improve a CRT image! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2001, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only bought my electric studio tek 130 a few months ago, so I was wondering what advantage if any there may be if upgrade and Greyhawk is used alongside my 808s.
From what I understand lcd's and dlp's are showing improvements, correct me if I'm wrong.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i just talked to the Stewart film screen rep. and he said the the grayhawk material will reduce the light output by 15%, most crt user's prefer the higher gain screens more, I would stick with the screen you have. the Lcd and Dila's have more light output so they can handle the 15% drop in light output.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2001, 05:00 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have done experiments with differntly layered materials, and screen izes, and the most 3-d image I have ever had in my living room came from a 'luminous-translucent-overlaid-multi-layered-pearlecent-grayscreen' with my ECP 4100, at about 4.5' across, about 6.5 feet in front of the projector. It was absolutely scary... I had to crane my neck to view it, and it sat on a ladder in the middle of my living room floor, but I didn't want to move it, the image presented was too good. I ended up leaving it that way for a week. Not reccomended for CRT use. This screen will eventually emerge, but not for about 6 months or so, and it will have to be manufactured in-house, of course. That was during the time period where I had 19 different experimental screens in the house at once.

------------------
---Place Signature Here---

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2001, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The GrayHawk is mainly for increasing black detail at the expense of light output. Since a CRT has no trouble with blacks but does with light output, you'll gain nothing and loose light output.

Stick with your StudioTek 130, it's the best for CRT's. It's what I am using with my Runco 980.

Phil

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page