Screen Size vs Ceiling Height - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2001, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
CGM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a reccomendation on a screen size.

I currently have a finished basement with a multi tiered celing to cover HVAC ducts. The low point is 6'8". I am contemplating an electric tensioned screen. I would imagine I have to mount this to the wall/ceiling.

My question is how big a screen can I use? The total room is 23"L X 14'W and I will be using some a digital projector which is still to be determined(Seleco/Dwin).

Any comments/help would be appreciated.

CGM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2001, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

CGM,

There's no hard answer to this, you have to figure out how low the screen can extend before it obstructed by people in the front row. It depends on how close you plan to sit and how far you space your rows. You could also hang your screen from a higher point on the ceiling, that would give you more ceiling height (6'8" is not much to work with...).

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2001, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have very low ceilings. I use a 54" x 96" Stewart fixed wall mounted screen. Needless to say, it's tight. The screen starts about 9" down from the ceiling, and is a couple of feet off the floor. My center speaker is beneath the screen, and just barely clears the bottom of the screen with the stand I use.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2001, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have any experience with a perforated screen, unfortunately. I think having a "second row" of seating in a room with ceilings that low is going to be a little dodgy.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2001, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

CGM,

A perforated screen will work fine as long as your head is a minimum of 14 feet from the screen. Stewart makes the best screens in the business. Their Micro-perf is a super screen. I have had 2 of them since 1990. With such a low cieling, it is best to place the screen as high as possible.

For optimum viewing pleasure, your eyes should be looking straight at "screen center" without tilting your head back. This presents the most comfortable viewing angle for long periods of viewing.

Lee

STOP DFAST/5C/DVI/HDCP
post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2001, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
CGM

Lee,

With the screen mounted as high as possible, an 8' 16X9 screen will drop to about 10 inches above the floor. Do you see a problem with the screen dropping so low.

Thanks,

CGM
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2001, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
CGM

Jim,

Using a 54x96 electric screen to protect fom my 1 year old would put the screen only about 10" off the floor(this takes the casing for the electric screen into account as well). I will only have 1 row of seating so being able to see from the second row will not be an issue.

Is this viable set up if I can work out the center channel issue probably by using a perforated screen?

Thanks,

CGM
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2001, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

CGM,

I have a 60x107 16x9 fixed Stewart Micro-perf Silver 400 screen. It is 10 inches from the floor. All of my speakers are behind the screen. My twin SW12 Subwoofers aim down so the air pressure can escape through that 10" opening. My room is 24L x 12W x 7H with the exception of the screen area where the ceiling drops to 6 feet. The walls come in in two 6" "indents" which gives the illusion that the screen is wall to wall, floor to ceiling. I sit back 16 feet from the screen and when sitting down, my eyes are straight ahead to screen center.

I have 5 leather lounge chairs with foot rests. The seating position is staggered like an X with the back two seats being closer in then the side seats. Every seat has an unobstructed view of the screen. MY Zenith PRO900X is on the floor (sits on top of a 1" marble slab) with a custom cover with footrest on top of the cover so I sit behind the PJ and put my feet up.

I can and do spend 12 to 15 hours at a time in my HT and never tire. I have been to peoples homes who mount their screen too high and after about 15 minutes the back of my neck starts to hurt!

Directors will place 90% of the cinematography in the exact center of a screen so that is where you want to be looking.

My attitude about HT is MAKE THE IMAGE BIG. I will forsake razor sharp chrispness or high light values to have that big image. I am trying to recreate a movie theater in my home. Movie theaters have big screens and the biggest screens are found in IMAX theaters where they are W. to W., F to C. Someone once said I have a MiniMax theater.

Lee

post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2001, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
CGM

Lee,

Thanks for the info !! You have given me hope with my very low ceiling.

Thanks,

CGM
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2001, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

Posted by Lee Antin:
"My attitude about HT is MAKE THE IMAGE BIG. I will forsake razor sharp crispness or high light values to have that big image. I am trying to recreate a movie theater in my home. Movie theaters have big screens and the biggest screens are found in IMAX theaters where they are W. to W., F to C."

Lee, I couldn't agree with you more! The genuine impact from a "theater-large" image is very important in home cinema. I think such cinematic impact should be regarded as an element in picture quality EQUAL with all the other elements, like colorimetry, black and white levels, resolution, scaling/deinterlacing performance etc. You might be able to downsize your picture to make its flaws invisible, but if doing so destroys cinematic impact, you're just watching TV after all. For me, the whole point of doing home theater is seeking to replicate a THEATER experience in the comfort of your residence---that goal will be difficult to achieve without a screen of "cinema-scaled" proportions.

Happy home-theatering!

------------------
Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page