AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   can you make your own grey screen? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/19356-can-you-make-your-own-grey-screen.html)

rlsmith 01-22-2001 06:04 PM

Several posts have referred to making your own grey screen for use with a DLP (or similar) projector.

Does anyone know how you would go about making your own grey screen?

Thanks,

Bob Smith

Don Stewart 01-22-2001 08:29 PM

Search for some postings by KBK. He has some formulated gray screen paint that may be just what you are looking for.
Regards,
Don

bwolff 01-23-2001 09:15 AM

I dyed a king sized sheet and it works good. I am working on a strait wall right now and I am going to paint it.

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget

CCLAY 01-23-2001 02:11 PM

Bob,

If you want a very simple to do screen, go buy a 4 x 8 piece of masonite. One side is perforated, one side is smooth, your choice.

Attach to your wall using mirror supports, available at hardware stores. Buy a gallon of pastel base white and an oz or two of lamp black colorant, then mix to a very light shade of grey. Be careful, a little black goes a long way. I suggest using a quart jar rather than mixing in the whole gallon.

Using the paint method gives you GREAT flexibility for trying different shades of grey to best suit your needs.

E-mail me if you want more info.

Chris

mdowns 01-23-2001 10:04 PM

Bob,
I followed Bwolff's research posts and my variation has worked well for me. I wanted to try my hand a DIY custom sized screen before I threw down cash for a REAL screen. After putting together my frame, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased two King sized flat sheets. They were cheap and disposable if this project didn't work out. I placed a 180 thread count black sheet over the frame and stapled in place. Over the black sheet, I placed a 200 count white sheet, made by Cannon, and again stapled in place. The black backed sheet seems to give the white sheet a grayish tint that makes the blacks blacker and doesn't really effect the whites that much. Applying two layers of white makes the whites whiter, but the blacks now have a grayish look. My total cost was about $50. I finished out the screen with black felt wrapped 2" foam border. The screen is light enough that you can hold the 60" X 104" screen in one hand. This will satisfy me until something strikingly different comes along. BTW, I'm using the Sony W400Q projector at a distance of 14.5 feet. Good luck. MD

bwolff 01-24-2001 07:30 AM

I tried the masonite. First it is too small for me and second it had hotspoting. But I have a LCD. They sell poster board in 4x8 sheets. That is a little more but it is light and flat.

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget