Painted Gray Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-26-2001, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have four little kids who touch everything. My Sony VW10HT LCD projector is 15 feet from the "screen" up out of the kids' reach. I can't get a Greyhawk screen, because the risk is too great that the kids will touch, slap, etc. their hands and toys on the screen. So I'm using a Sherwin Williams luminescent white painted wall that I can periodically repaint. Should I go to a gray paint (one gallon Sherwin Williams white and an ounce or less lamp black colorant rolled on the wall) to improve my image. Would this give me better blacks, 3D effect, less screen door effect as mentioned in various posts, or simply a darker less lively image? Can a DIY'er achieve a worthwhile improvement or should I just keep it simple and stick with the white already in place? How many gray coats would I need over the white wall and should it be sanded between coats, as I did with my white wall? Thanks for your responses.

------------------
jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-26-2001, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff,

Try the grey paint. Don't mix the whole gallon at once, though. Use a quart jar. You'll be surprised how far the black colorant goes. Use JUST a little at a time.

Leave half of the screen white, paint the other grey. Watch the intro to Fifth Element. See the difference for yourself. You'll never watch movies on the white screen again. At least that's what I thought with my G11 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page