Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2001, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everybody,

I wanted to get your opinion with getting a screen. Is there a big difference between a Stewart and Draper. I am planning on getting a Barco 1208 and I wanted to get a 96" or 100" 16x9 screen. With a 1.3gain. Is there a big differnce in picture quality between a Stewart and a Draper?

And what is a good price to pay for a Stewart. I know what I can get a Draper M1300 for. Any advice would be apprecitated.

Thanks in advance, bkwong73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2001, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Just saying a "Stewart" or a "Draper" doesn't really narrow it down enough, unfortunately, since all the manufacturers have various models that are designed to do different things. FWIW, here are my comments on three screens that I have personally either owned, or have spent some time viewing:

Da-Lite 1.3 - good uniformity, no hot-spots. Big problem was the "sparkly" screen from the embedded particles. This was my first screen.

Draper 2500 - 2.5 gain, very dynamic. Had a fairly strong hot-spot, and color shift. Also some "streaks" from the backing (this was not mine, but a friend's who has since upgraded to a Stewart.)

Stewart Studiotek 130 - the one I own now. Perfect uniformity, no hot spots, no sparkles. I almost have to define the screen in terms of what it is "not", rather than what it is. There is just nothing there to detract from the viewing experience, unlike the others I've seen.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2001, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim hit the nail on the head! The Stewart Studiotech 1.3 surface is so good, you forget that the screen material is even there. That to me is a sign of the best screen, and the clear winner here.

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2001, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks Jim Ferguson and DMAN for your reply. Sorry I should had been more specific. I was really considering the Draper M1300 1.3 gain screen. And I have read so many good things about the Stewart Studioteck 1.3 screen. I was just wondering if there is a huge quality difference between these two screens.

And I was also wondering what is the best price I could get for the Stewart Studioteck 96inch screen.

Thanks in advance, bkwong73
post #5 of 5 Old 02-11-2001, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Every single screen that I have seen from Stewart has been of the highest quality. Their support is very good as you can see from Don Stewarts posts on this forum.

As a matter of fact, I have never seen a negative post about a Stewart product anywhere.

I have a GrayHawk 96"x54" 16:9 microperf beauty coming soon. I have seen some decent Drapers in various conference rooms around the country too.

Good luck with your decision.

Cameron

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page