help with picking a screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-23-2015, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
help with picking a screen

here are the specs

thank you for your input.. here is additional information
room is about 24 deep and 17wide
ceilings is 10 feet high.
back of room will have row of four theater chairs at distance of 20 feet- these can be on riser.. but projector above chairs.
so projector will be about 22 feet from screen at farthest point .. can move closer if need be .
in front of those at about 16 feet couches, or additional chairs ushaped couch so parts may be a little closer
basement can be blacked out.. but might have some light occasionally as rest of basement has pool table ect on other end.
would like to have 4k upscaling.. is this worth it?
primary viewing most likely on couch that is about 16 feet away.
room is light controlled only two window wells to contend with .. blinds no issue.
Very limited 3D viewing. most likely not a factor at all. but I want to be sure the screen works with 3D.. but 4k upscaling.
what is largest screen I can get. screen recommendations 16:9 or otherwise?
would be watching movies in darkenss. television most likely in ambient light.
was thinking of doing a automatic drop down screen with tv screen behind for when we have more action going on in basement.
no beams in the path such as ducts ect.
sound is open to debate .. start off with standalone and maybe move up from there.
so what is the largest screen I can get ..
would like to know are there good drop down automatic ones.. in case I want to leave a tv set on the wall ..

thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago66 View Post
here are the specs

thank you for your input.. here is additional information
room is about 24 deep and 17wide
ceilings is 10 feet high.
back of room will have row of four theater chairs at distance of 20 feet- these can be on riser.. but projector above chairs.
so projector will be about 22 feet from screen at farthest point .. can move closer if need be .
in front of those at about 16 feet couches, or additional chairs ushaped couch so parts may be a little closer
basement can be blacked out.. but might have some light occasionally as rest of basement has pool table ect on other end.
would like to have 4k upscaling.. is this worth it?
primary viewing most likely on couch that is about 16 feet away.
room is light controlled only two window wells to contend with .. blinds no issue.
Very limited 3D viewing. most likely not a factor at all. but I want to be sure the screen works with 3D.. but 4k upscaling.
what is largest screen I can get. screen recommendations 16:9 or otherwise?
would be watching movies in darkenss. television most likely in ambient light.
was thinking of doing a automatic drop down screen with tv screen behind for when we have more action going on in basement.
no beams in the path such as ducts ect.
sound is open to debate .. start off with standalone and maybe move up from there.
so what is the largest screen I can get ..
would like to know are there good drop down automatic ones.. in case I want to leave a tv set on the wall ..

thank you in advance.

There are lots of excellent electric drop down screens offered by Da Lite, Stewart, Screen Innovations - I've used electric screens since 2002. In fact, I currently have two different retractable screens in my theater -

Give us a call or drop us an email for advise and / or pricing.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens